"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 02-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I was quite happy with the recipes that came with my meat grinder. I posted them as links awhile back while I was making my first batch of sausage. I did the test patties for each different kind. I didn't adjust the seasonings (I had adjusted the amount of red pepper/hot pepper and garlic when adding the spices to the meat chunks). I used bone-in pork shoulder--it was a lot of work skinning the rind off the meat and de-boning it, but well worth it. I didn't trim any of the fat off (following Rock's suggestion since he had made sausage the week before using the same cut from the same supermarket chain, different cities). My challenge was that I didn't get my grinder put back together right the 2nd time (when I went to put the meat in the casings). It helps if you know what you like about different types of sausage--do you like more garlic? Do you like more oregano? (so being able to taste the different herbs and spices in your blend). Also, use the freshest herbs and spices you have. If your spices/herbs are stale and you are using dry, replace them. And, keep everything REALLY cold, including the meat grinder parts.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Do NOT trim the fat off the meat, that grease makes sausage...sausage. Use a coarse grind plate, and a lot more seasoning than you think is right. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking, so the meat and spices will marry.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

If all else fails, google your Extension Office at your local University. They have help on all sorts of subjects. Also look at the list of seasoning on a package of sausages you like. They may not have all the list, but it could give you an idea of what you may be missing.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're trying to cut down on fat in your diet, don't make sausages.

Alton Brown did a sausage show. He said Boston butt is the best cut for most sausage as it has the right lean to fat ratio. For breakfast sausage he actually added fat to the mix as breakfast sausage has a higher fat percentage than others.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
I'm usually not an Alton Brown fan, but would agree with him in this case---unless you can find the pork neck, which, IMO, makes better sausage.

Boston butt is available everywhere, though, and has a very good fat/lean ratio. It is not a good idea to trim any of the fat away.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
Master Chef

First of all I would ask how did you cook it, or did you smoke it. Second of all the bigger hole knife/die is an exelent advice. Third of all increase seasoning taste the row mixture and reseasoned if needs to be. Make sure to slightly over season with spicy stuff, becasue during cooking it will mellow some what. Did I say taste the raw mixture?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Did I say taste the raw mixture?

I hope not, CharlieD. That's considered dangerous by virtually all food safety and charcuterie authorities.

Recommended procedure is to take a small sample of the mix, pan fry it, and taste that.

You're certainly right, however, that the mixture should be tasted before stuffing the cases.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
Master Chef

No it is not, not at all. Ah, food safety authorities would get their rear end sued if something happened. They have to say that.

Ok fine you want to fry a little piece, not a problem, just longer, especially when you have taste 3-4 times to get the seasoning right.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

When I was a kid I used to sneak and eat raw breakfast sausage from the fridge. I loved the stuff. I am surprised I never got sick...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Master Chef

When I make pan fried humburgers I always taste the mix.

Tags
casing?, homemade, pork, sausage, spices