I have stopped eating pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering the little "tirade" on my previous comment, and "leigh's" response on her cooking methods, there remain a couple questions if we can look at this issue and answer it honestly...

I don't know how many other members have ever tried eating "fresh killed" meat (ie "meat that has not been 'hung' for some time"), but I have had that experience, and the taste is "different" from a quality retail meat supplier's offerings...

That "experience" is not so recent that I can describe any "aftertaste" that may have accompanied the meat flavours, but would offer it is "indeed different" and not always in a "nice" sense...

Bucky Tom makes a really valid point in that many of us "flavour" pork with rubs, spices and/or marinades, that aside from enhancing the aging process on the taste of the meat, will give "totally" different results than simple cooking in the oven or fry pan with S+P, as "leigh" describes, and thus we could hardly expect to taste the same "aftertastes"...

I went after the local "medical community" on the permeality of "skin" on the "patch" issue...and was hardly surprised...being reminded that back when our children were babies, and we failed to change a diaper, the child did not get "sick" but rather had a "skin condition" (red flaring sores!) from their excrement against their skin, that required a shark oil "soother" to clean and eliminate, as the "skin" resisted any intrusion of any contaminants...the same could be offered by "periodically" washing the child and his/her environment (ie crib=sty)...

Since mankind is getting "pig" components as "organ replacement" sort of things, I doubt that the FDA is going to get onto the "pig patch" in any "big way"...

Since when the hog farmer "sprays down" the pig, he also "sprays down" the stall, I doubt there is a big issue about "wallowing in excrement"...and since he does it "periodically" enough to "every few hours", I doubt the pigs are any worse off than any child in the world...(and better off than many tsunami victims!)

Since the Food and Drug Administration (aka FDA) are not up in arms over this, I think that eating pork can be thought "safe"...

Since "hanging meat" to "age it" costs any given butcher a certain amount in both "interest on his cash investment" and "shrinkage" on the meat itself, it would seem to argue that changing source of supply and paying an "extra nickle" a pound would yield greatly superior results..."leigh" may wish to consider this! Buy the "cheapest", expect the worst! (And no not a play on words of "wurst")!

As for "my writing style" and "condescending mannerisms" in correspondence, lets give our collective heads a shake! If I was able to sign myself off as William Shakespeare, Marshall MacLuhan, Rudyard Kipling, Carl Frost, John Donne, Margaret Atwood, Lord Bryan, (well, I could go on, but hopefully you have recognized at least two!) then you might understand that an English Major will write things "a little differently"...let alone that a Canadian will write from a different perspective than an American...

Agreed, it doesn't make us "right", but it damnsure doesn't make us "wrong", either...

And I decline to go into what the "snotty" reply "rants" make "us" think, either...

With what "Respects" may be due...

Lifter

wasabi said:
What's a chook?

A chook is a chicken.

Pigs can be very brutal. A sow, if not given enough food will kill & eat her own young. Some sows (bad mothers) will do it anyway.

Over here piggeries are one of the most inspected industries in the land. There is a major operation 30 miles North & they are constantly under the microscope because they are near the local area water supply headwaters. The amount of water they go through per day is incredible and they are under a 'zero discharge' order. This means that they are not allowed to have any effluent leave their property. This is treated on site & sprayed on feed crops on their property, the excess being filtered naturally before entering the ground water. The ground water is also tested everyday.

As far as I am led to believe, although the units are cleaned many times a day (up to 10), the animals still foul themselves.

We used to buy our pork 'on the hoof' from a local producer, totally illegal, but the quality was brilliant.

i've been bitten by both canadians and sows, and let me tell you, sows are much meaner. neither one broke the skin, but the sow bite left a bruise that lasted several weeks.

Presume you were bitten by one of the "nicer" "canadians"...

Where we get "mean", its not whether we "break the skin", its whether we "leave any"!!

On the other hand, yes, if you are unfortunate enough to "pass out" while filling the pig's trough, and those creatures get their hooves on top of you, they will literally "eat you alive"...

Another hog carcase that doesn't taste so good...one that's been raised and "bulked up" on a meat diet...

A few references available for this phenonema, BTW...

Lifter

Good on ya Lifter!

:LOL: :LOL:

Ya gotta watch him Bucky.

We call Canadians "Australians with up-side-down brains" or to be nice "up-side-down Aussies".

All we have to do now is teach them to play Cricket. :shock:

Every grower I know has not and never will feed any sort of meat products or derivatives to their pigs, preferring fresh vegies, grain & day old bread from the bakeries.

This of course has nothing to do with pigs, but I know a guy who ate squirells regularly when he lived down south. They had the big grey and black squirells. We have those, and red squirrels as well. The red squirrels are omnivorous and will eat small animals they can catch. I've been told that they are virtually inedible. Mabey that's why most animals won't eat people. Our diets consist of meat, grains, and veggies. Maybe we just taste nasty.

Something to think about for our vegetarian freinds ;)
Just kidding folks, I think.

Stirring the pot, stirring the pot.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

STONE THE CROWS!!!

Seeing as how I put on so much weight since finding this site, and am as fat as a pig, all this talk about pigs & producing FATTER pigs seems a bit

HIPPO CRITICAL

Oh dear......... :shock:

you and me both choc! heya sweetie, good to see you back! i've missed my daily rda of "choc"olate!

buckytom said:
you and me both choc! heya sweetie, good to see you back! i've missed my daily rda of "choc"olate!

I'm back! Hopefully for good. I just have to get in the swing of things again.

I missed you too bucky my friend...

I don't eat pork as often as I eat beef but as long as I have lived in KANSAS, which is about 20 years I have never come across a piece of pork that tasted like shi*t.

Wow, don't know how I missed this one. Leigh, it sucks that your pork is gross. I think you got a good suggestion when someone said you may be a super taster though. Simple test is whether or not you can stand hot foods. Apparently super tasters can't tolerate even mild (to the rest of us) peppers.

i love hot stuff. just what are you saying alix!!! :eek:

i would think super tasters have super schnozzes. so much of taste is smell...

My wife is a super-taster and she doesn't have a big schnoz. She is especially sensitive to hot foods and bitter foods. That wonderful "charred flavor is bitter and so does not go on her plate. She can't even handle most ketchups as they are too hot for her. It makes cooking a chore as I have to make basically two meals every time I cook. I make the initial meal, and set aside her portion before I season it for the rest of the crew. She wasn't always like this either. She never could handle bitter or hot, but now, include oregano, basil, cilantro, garlic, and most other herbs and spices to the mix of things that have to be toned down for her. Me on the other hand, love strong and powerful flavors. Her pizza has no sauce, ham and cheese. Mine will have extra sauce, hot Italian Sausage, extra perpperoni, black olives, onions, green peppers, red peper flakes, and cheese.

Super tasters are at a serious disadvantage with most foods. It renders them unable to enjoy so much.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom