ISO help/tips w/Breaded Pork Chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pegth

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,
I love having breaded pork chops trouble is I usually loose the breading in the pan or when I serve the chops the first cut all the breading comes off.:(
I dip the chops in egg then the bread crumbs.
Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks much,
Pegth

Dry, wet, dry. Dredge them in flour before the egg and bread crumbs.

Seasoning the flour is a nice way to season the pork chops.

One of the best ways to keep the breading on any food item is to refrigerate the breaded food for about 20 minutes before cooking. This allows the gluten in the breading to "set up" a bit and create a cloak around the food.

One of the best ways to keep the breading on any food item is to refrigerate the breaded food for about 20 minutes before cooking. This allows the gluten in the breading to "set up" a bit and create a cloak around the food.

Does this eliminate the dry, wet, dry method? I've never heard of this, but I do remember my mother used to leave breaded zucchini set on the counter before frying right away. I never paid attention to her order of dipping and breading though.

Does this eliminate the dry, wet, dry method? I've never heard of this, but I do remember my mother used to leave breaded zucchini set on the counter before frying right away. I never paid attention to her order of dipping and breading though.

No, it doesn't eliminate those steps. Just makes them better, especially when it comes to making fried green tomatoes.

what Katie said - here's what happens -

the egg wash is a bit "sticky" - wants to cling to things.
but if "the thing" is wet, the egg wash - and consequently the breading - "slides off"

the first dredge in flour will ensure the meat surface is dry - that lets the egg wash 'stick'

a rest period after breading might be one of the least mentioned "tricks" to breading for pan or deep frying - put the bread pieces on a rack so air can get to all sides and set the breading - keep in the fridge or room temp - depends on how long. a 20 minute +/- air dry is absolutely essential if you want to 'double dip / bread' something for an extra crunchy coating.

what Katie said - here's what happens -

the egg wash is a bit "sticky" - wants to cling to things.
but if "the thing" is wet, the egg wash - and consequently the breading - "slides off"

the first dredge in flour will ensure the meat surface is dry - that lets the egg wash 'stick'

a rest period after breading might be one of the least mentioned "tricks" to breading for pan or deep frying - put the bread pieces on a rack so air can get to all sides and set the breading - keep in the fridge or room temp - depends on how long. a 20 minute +/- air dry is absolutely essential if you want to 'double dip / bread' something for an extra crunchy coating.

Amen, amen, amen. You must be standing next to me as I prepare my food for frying. You described, almost to the wrist bend, what I do. Always have perfectly crunchy fried food...that keeps its breading on.:)

>>standing . . .

giggle.
made a batch of spaetzle this afternoon, tonight is 'faux' Weiner schnitzel - actually pork tenderloin as DW does not do veal (too cute....)
sliced, pounded thin & breaded. some homemade coleslaw and methinks a biscuit too....

Last edited:
This extra step of resting in a refrigerator for twenty minutes is something I'll have to try, but since my breading doesn't come off now, I'm not sure that I would notice a difference. Although I typically only bread smallish items, like fish, shrimp, zucchini... nothing heavier like chicken pieces. Those I just liked floured. You've got me wanting to try some double dipped fried chicken and do a test with one piece refrigerated and one not.

pssst - I rarely put it in the fridge. if it can't take 15-20 minutes air drying on the counter,,,,,

I only do the fridge thing where I know I'm going to have a time crunch - ie need to do it well ahead of time.

a double dip breading can be really superb - try a seasoned flour for pass one, then (pulverized) corn flakes&flour for pass two. I do that when I can get my hands on quark for my cornflakes - otherwise I don't normally have the cf's in-house.

Last edited:
pssst - I rarely put it in the fridge. if it can't take 15-20 minutes air drying on the counter,,,,,

I only do the fridge thing where I know I'm going to have a time crunch - ie need to do it well ahead of time.

a double dip breading can be really superb - try a seasoned flour for pass one, then (pulverized) corn flakes&flour for pass two. I do that when I can get my hands on quark for my cornflakes - otherwise I don't normally have the cf's in-house.

I thought by double dipped you were talking the egg wash. As in flour, egg, crumbs, egg, crumbs. I even think I half-saw (translated: watching from a lying position on the couch ;)) someone making fried chicken that way last weekend on TV. I know I didn't see him refrigerate the pieces, though I could have missed him resting them. He was deep frying the chicken, I remember that much.

>>I thought

you thought right -
flour dredge
egg wash
breading
20 minute air dry
egg wash
breading

makes for veddy crunchy

I also rest the breaded pork chops.

I also have another important step: drain/rest on a rack! If you drain after cooking on a flat surface, such as a serving plate, guaranteed the trapped steam will separate the crust you worked so hard to achieve.

I also rest the breaded pork chops.

I also have another important step: drain/rest on a rack! If you drain after cooking on a flat surface, such as a serving plate, guaranteed the trapped steam will separate the crust you worked so hard to achieve.

I just heard that on that show I mentioned, too. You need to let the finished product rest so the steam can escape. Very good tip.

I usually do this- Dip in egg, then dip in crumbs, dip in egg again and dip in crumbs. I then place them on a sprayed sheet and bake. It usually doesn't come off and is nice and crispy.

Ok Allow me add my 2₵.

Basic Breading:

Dredge flour: AP flour ( or a combo of several flours such as peanut flour, flaxseed meal), ground sea salt, ground peppercorn blend
Egg wash: Egg, milk (or buttermilk), ground sea salt, ground peppercorn blend, ground red pepper flakes
Crumbs: Panko or Regular Unseasoned bread crumbs, Oregano, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Goya Adobo Seasoning, Accent, Ground Sea Salt, Ground peppercorns, Ground red pepper flakes, Cayenne, Paprika, Thyme, Rosemary, Freshly grated Romano & Parmesan cheeses.

*For poultry or pork - Add poultry seasoning to crumbs.
*For fish - Add Old Bay Lemon and pepper blend and/or McCormick Perfect Pinch Lemon & herb to crumbs.

Let sit for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour before cooking (if breading gets very "sticky" looking re-dredge in crumbs).
Be sure the oil is up to 350°F before adding food.
DO NOT crowd the pot/pan.

I LOVE these prep trays.

img_1046729_0_ccfeb199d5de5c9e20bc32d8f79a255e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom