ISO Oven Roasted Spare Rib Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
I have gone through all the rib threads and am still puzzled a bit.
I have done ribs many ways, but not that often. Question which way is the best for the oven abd finishing on grill --- one way they say w,rub, seal and put in fridge over night- put on rack in pan uncovered low 225 for 4 hrs. Next idea - marinate w/rub seal in plastic wrap as 1st idea, then wrap in foil and roast the same as above. Wrap or Not is the final question. Guess I could have said in the beginning - lol Can yu tell I love to talk -----sryyyy !

I always cook ribs on my smoker...I cook them without any wrapping til the meat starts to pull back from the bone...then I wrap them in foil and put them back on the grill for and extra 30min to an hour.

I season and wrap mine with alum foil. Put them in a low oven until they are tender but not falling off the bone.

Sometimes I stop here, cool them down and finish on the grill the next day. I usually do this when I'm feeding a crowd. If it's just a few of us, I have taken them right from the oven to crisp up on the grill.

I prefer to oven bake them a day before.

Yes, I too, prefer smoking them but many times it's just won't fit in the game plan. :)

We usually BBQ our ribs over indirect heat on a charcoal grill for 1.5 hours (40 minutes without BBQ sauce and the rest with). But I also make baby back ribs in my slow cooker with a sauce that uses root beer. It is VERY popular at my house. There are pictures and a recipe here

Marinate for 24 hours

For ribs or any other thinner cut of meat it is important to marinate it for at least 24 hours. The marinade depends on you, for me I like Lawrey's seasoned salt, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, crushed red pepper, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and black pepper. Mix it all together and place it with the ribs in a freezer or storage bag in the fridge. Toss and turn every now and then.

Pour the marinade into a baking pan and add about a quart of water and mix. Put a rack over the baking pan and place in a pre-heated over at 450 degrees for 30-45 minutes (to seal the ribs). Reduce heat to 225 degrees and cook for 2-3 hours. Remove the ribs and wrap in alum foil with some of the drippings in the pan for about another hour.

In the meantime, place the rest of the drippings in a pot and reduce by about half. This will be your sauce for eating with the ribs.

You may want to remove the ribs from the alum foil and place under the broiler until they have good color.

An added touch is to place some wood chips soaked in water into the oven once you reduce the heat to 225 degrees. This depends on your oven and ventilation.

Enjoy!

Tony

I would think ribs would really dry out slow cooking them uncovered - would never do that myself! I also like to prep mine a day ahead in the oven and just toss on the grill for a little time w/sauce the next night.

I did this last night and they were absolutely delicious. Used baby back ribs and rubbed them with hickory smoke powder (new to me),NM chile powder, Kosher salt,pepper, smoked paprika,brown sugar.
PUt in a baking pan to hold the the three racks and baked 2.5 hours at 250* covered. Cut into 3 rib portions, coat with BBQ sauce (Bullseye diluted half with cider vinegar) and cooked on a low fire grill for 30 minutes, turning once to just get the top/meaty side crusty.

Janet is Hungry said:
We usually BBQ our ribs over indirect heat on a charcoal grill for 1.5 hours (40 minutes without BBQ sauce and the rest with). But I also make baby back ribs in my slow cooker with a sauce that uses root beer. It is VERY popular at my house. There are pictures and a recipe here

We also use a slow cooker at home. Actually my DH is the one that told me about his wonderful way of cooking ribs. He broils them a few minutes on each side and than drowns them in BBQ Sauce in a slow cooker for 8-10 hours. They do come out GREAT!!!

Miss Barb...

With the options you provide I would go with the un-wrapped version in the oven. Basting every 30 minutes or so with maybe a mixture of apple juice, cider vinegar, a touch of oil plus some of the rub you used and anything else thats suits your fancy. I don't cook ribs indoors, but this should work.

Thanks all for your input, just got them in the fridge - all rubbed down and relaxed. Tomorrow I will put them in a 225' oven - wrapped ( don't have the time to worry about basting), for about 4 hrs, take them out then browned and sauced on the grill. Will let you know how they turned out ! Have a great BBQ all !!

Back
Top Bottom