"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,601
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Linda's pot of pork

This recipe is my interpretation of "Friedas Kasserolle", which we had in a pub in Denmark, owned by Frieda.

1 lb/500 gr pork, cut into cubes
3 strips stripey bacon
2 European style wiener sausages cut into 2 cm/1 inch pieces (if you can find high quality, tasty cocktail wieners, then use them instead)
hot paprika to taste
1 small onion, sliced
stock, it could be pork, chicken, or vegi
cream

In a Dutch oven or similar, cook the bacon until most of the fat had been rendered. Put the bacon aside.
Fry the onion a little bit in the rendered bacon fat.
Fry half the pork cubes with the onion, when browned, put the pork and onion aside.
Fry the other half of the pork and before it is fully browned, sprinkle with hot paprika. Continue frying until well browned.
Return the first half of the pork, the onions, and the bacon to the Dutch oven.
Add the stock to within ~1 cm (1/2 inch) of the top of the meat.
Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the pieces of wiener (or cocktail wieners).
Add some cream - enough that it looks creamy.
Turn up the heat after ~5 minutes and reduce to a nice thick sauce.

Serve with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes. Rødkål goes well with this dish too.

__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,247
This looks a lot like a dish my "adopted" Romainian Grandma used to make years ago. She never had recipes so I never knew how she made things but I know this is very similar. I will have to try it!

Thanks for posting TL!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,601
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
This recipe is my interpretation of "Friedas Kasserolle", which we had in a pub in Denmark, owned by Frieda.

1 lb/500 gr pork, cut into cubes
3 strips stripey bacon
2 European style wiener sausages cut into 2 cm/1 inch pieces (if you can find high quality, tasty cocktail wieners, then use them instead)
hot paprika to taste
1 small onion, sliced
stock, it could be pork, chicken, or vegi
cream

In a Dutch oven or similar, cook the bacon until most of the fat had been rendered. Put the bacon aside.
Fry the onion a little bit in the rendered bacon fat.
Fry half the pork cubes with the onion, when browned, put the pork and onion aside.
Fry the other half of the pork and before it is fully browned, sprinkle with hot paprika. Continue frying until well browned.
It sounds good! That's unusual that you'd fry half of the pork, put it aside, then fry the other half and season it with hot paprika (separately from the first half.) Do you actually taste some pieces of pork are hotter than the other unseasoned pieces, or does it all even out when simmered in the creamy sauce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Return the first half of the pork, the onions, and the bacon to the Dutch oven.
Add the stock to within ~1 cm (1/2 inch) of the top of the meat.
Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the pieces of wiener (or cocktail wieners).
Add some cream - enough that it looks creamy.
Turn up the heat after ~5 minutes and reduce to a nice thick sauce.

Serve with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes. Rødkål goes well with this dish too.
That word looks suspiciously like "road kill."
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,601
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It sounds good! That's unusual that you'd fry half of the pork, put it aside, then fry the other half and season it with hot paprika (separately from the first half.) Do you actually taste some pieces of pork are hotter than the other unseasoned pieces, or does it all even out when simmered in the creamy sauce?
It's just so the pan won't be too crowded. The seasoning goes onto the second batch so it won't burn. It all evens out with the stock and cream.

Quote:
That word looks suspiciously like "road kill."
We've had that discussion before It just means red cabbage in Danish, even though it is a specific red cabbage dish.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Thanks for the explanation!

Well I really like cabbage! Sorry about the joke. I just looked at the other topic and see I'm not the only one. I hope to try them both.

Would the road... er... Rødkål work okay with regular--not red--cabbage?
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 674
Your picture looks wonderful, like Paprikash, but I've never made that with pork!

what is your tiny side veggie salad? looks sort of oriental with Baby Corn and flat pea pods.. very nice!

Eric, Austin Tx.
giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,601
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Thanks for the explanation!

Well I really like cabbage! Sorry about the joke. I just looked at the other topic and see I'm not the only one. I hope to try them both.

Would the road... er... Rødkål work okay with regular--not red--cabbage?
Don't worry about the joke. I think it's pretty funny myself.

I have never heard of anyone doing it with any cabbage other than the red one. I suspect that if it worked well with other cabbage, we would have recipes for that.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,601
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
Your picture looks wonderful, like Paprikash, but I've never made that with pork!

what is your tiny side veggie salad? looks sort of oriental with Baby Corn and flat pea pods.. very nice!

Eric, Austin Tx.
The vegi is Kirkland stir fry mix, stir fried with garlic and onion and a small chili. I grated some creamed coconut on at the end, but we couldn't taste the coconut.

I've never made paprikash.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have never heard of anyone doing it with any cabbage other than the red one. I suspect that if it worked well with other cabbage, we would have recipes for that.
Does red cabbage taste or cook differently than green cabbage? I like the recipe but (it's probably just me) I'm not totally thrilled by the red appearance of the end result. I think I'd be happier with using green cabbage.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
The recipe sounds great. I actually have quite a bit of Danish in my heritage, but will be the first to admit I haven't exactly embraced the culinary part of the culture.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,601
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Does red cabbage taste or cook differently than green cabbage? I like the recipe but (it's probably just me) I'm not totally thrilled by the red appearance of the end result. I think I'd be happier with using green cabbage.
I do believe the red cabbage cooks slightly differently than other cabbages. You don't really get that sulphur smell when it is cooking. Of course, that might be the vinegar. Yes, I find that red cabbage does taste a bit different than other cabbage, but it still tastes like cabbage.

I'm sure the red colour indicates some sort of micro nutrient that is really good for you. You should try it with the red cabbage and then experiment with a green or savoy cabbage. Oh yeah, I find the leaves are a bit wrinklier with the red one and that is good when you are slicing it. It tends to get darker with age. The red cabbage in the photo was cooked in early February.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I do believe the red cabbage cooks slightly differently than other cabbages. You don't really get that sulphur smell when it is cooking. Of course, that might be the vinegar. Yes, I find that red cabbage does taste a bit different than other cabbage, but it still tastes like cabbage.
I've heard others describing a sulfur smell resulting from cooking Brassica but I've never noticed that myself. It could be individual differences in sense of taste and smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm sure the red colour indicates some sort of micro nutrient that is really good for you. You should try it with the red cabbage and then experiment with a green or savoy cabbage. Oh yeah, I find the leaves are a bit wrinklier with the red one and that is good when you are slicing it. It tends to get darker with age. The red cabbage in the photo was cooked in early February.
Well if you cooked it in early February and now it's April then I guess after three months it might get a bit darker with age. Just kidding!
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,601
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've heard others describing a sulfur smell resulting from cooking Brassica but I've never noticed that myself. It could be individual differences in sense of taste and smell.



Well if you cooked it in early February and now it's April then I guess after three months it might get a bit darker with age. Just kidding!
Two months, no kidding. The stuff keeps forever in the fridge (for some values of forever )
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
Well I was kidding, but seriously fresh cabbage is one of the longest lasting vegetables I can think of, in terms of refrigerator longevity. I was just reading this in some topic here on the forum yesterday, maybe posted by you TL, you just put back in the fridge any part you don't need, then next time you take it out you peel off the outer leaves and trim the cut part and you're good to go for another portion cut off.

If only lettuce were this nice, particularly bag lettuce that gets orange and/or brown after only 4-6 days in the fridge. I bet a cabbage could go 3 months easy...
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,601
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Well I was kidding, but seriously fresh cabbage is one of the longest lasting vegetables I can think of, in terms of refrigerator longevity. I was just reading this in some topic here on the forum yesterday, maybe posted by you TL, you just put back in the fridge any part you don't need, then next time you take it out you peel off the outer leaves and trim the cut part and you're good to go for another portion cut off.

If only lettuce were this nice, particularly bag lettuce that gets orange and/or brown after only 4-6 days in the fridge. I bet a cabbage could go 3 months easy...
Wasn't me, but I do that too.

I find that the best way to make lettuce last is to put it in a plastic bag and just put a clothes pin in the middle at the top, so both sides are still open. That way it doesn't dry out and it doesn't get slimy for a long time.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Greg Who Cooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: in my kitchen
Posts: 3,794
I do a similar thing with lettuce (either bag lettuce or whole lettuce) put it in a plastic bag with a couple paper towels loosely thrown in. My theory is that they absorb excess moisture instead of letting it condense on the lettuce.
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Bump to subscribe.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Bump to subscribe.
Just curious - why do you want to subscribe to an old thread? Do you think someone will add to it?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just curious - why do you want to subscribe to an old thread? Do you think someone will add to it?
When you subscribe to a thread it shows up under Subscribed Threads.
Since I plan on making this tonight I wanted it where I knew I could easily find it and review it.
And a year from now when I'm wondering what that pork and hot dog dish was and who posted it... it will still be there under my subscribed threads.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pork, recipe

Linda's pot of pork This recipe is my interpretation of "Friedas Kasserolle", which we had in a pub in Denmark, owned by Frieda. 1 lb/500 gr pork, cut into cubes 3 strips stripey bacon 2 European style wiener sausages cut into 2 cm/1 inch pieces (if you can find high quality, tasty cocktail wieners, then use them instead) hot paprika to taste 1 small onion, sliced stock, it could be pork, chicken, or vegi cream In a Dutch oven or similar, cook the bacon until most of the fat had been rendered. Put the bacon aside. Fry the onion a little bit in the rendered bacon fat. Fry half the pork cubes with the onion, when browned, put the pork and onion aside. Fry the other half of the pork and before it is fully browned, sprinkle with hot paprika. Continue frying until well browned. Return the first half of the pork, the onions, and the bacon to the Dutch oven. Add the stock to within ~1 cm (1/2 inch) of the top of the meat. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the pieces of wiener (or cocktail wieners). Add some cream - enough that it looks creamy. Turn up the heat after ~5 minutes and reduce to a nice thick sauce. Serve with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes. [URL="http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/danish-red-cabbage-r-dk-l-roedkaal-69012.html?highlight=r%F8dk%E5l"]Rødkål[/URL] goes well with this dish too. 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×