Makin' bacon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Come to think of it, I haven't had Russian salo in a long time.

The good stuff is almost pure fat. :pig:

Bucky have you ever had Szalonna (bacon)? It is all fat, sometimes with a tiny strip of meat. My uncle is Hungarian and introduced us to it. It is already cooked before sale. You can eat it with or without recooking/frying it. He liked it cooked like bacon then you dip bread in the fat. I liked it both ways.

BD9A9A07-4553-4969-B871-081953D3B3D0.jpeg

Szalonna is Hungarian for fatback made of smoked pork fat with the rind and is traditional in Hungarian cuisine. It is often smoked or cooked in some manner before purchase so that the buyer can eat it without further preparation.[1] It is very different from popular American bacon, which is typically sold soft and uncooked.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szalonna_(bacon)

Last edited:
msm, the Slovak version of that is speck. So good held over a fire, rye bread at the ready, so that you can blot the drippings onto the bread as the fat melts. Himself likes to top his bread with raw onion slices, while I likes a couple thin slices of tomato. Toppings on, drippings added...and added...and added until you get the veggie just a wee bit limp. :yum: Slavic heaven!

Back
Top Bottom