"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 10-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Pull Pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
This "recipe" dates back to the early 1920's from a small store in a now defunct town. No specific amounts, kind of done by taste and look..

After the pork is boiled until it literally falls apart, remove ALL the fat, shread it out. I generally use 2 forks.

I generally have about 2.5-3 lbs of meat and place it all in a 9x13 cake pan.
Into that add enough of the broth so it is pretty well swimming in it. Add a large diced onion, white sugar, L&P Worcestershire sauce(at least 1 big bottle!!), vinegar, tomato juice, hot sauce if desired. Before you start baking, it should be as thin as soup. Upon tasting the broth should have a very strong Worcestershire bite to it along with a sweet/sour hit. There should be enough tomato juice in it so it looks kind of brown, but thin. You need to be able to taste the tomato too.. Sometimes I add diced tomatoes...

once again--it needs to have very strong flavor before baking. It will mellow a lot as it bakes. Don't be afraid of the sugar, wor. sauce/vinegar mix.

Place in a 350 degree oven and bake. It will take 2 or 3 hours to bake down. If after 2 hours it isn't getting there, up the temp to 400.

The secret to the sandwich is the slaw that goes ON THE SANDWICH.
Take your slaw cabbage, miracle whip(or Mayo) a little sugar and Tumeric.
Mix it up with enough tumeric so it has a definite yellow cast to it. Serve the BBQ with the slaw on it---yummy....
Jeff,
I'm sure your BBQ is delicious.
I was raised in SW Virginia and am very familiar with BBQ.

I do a pulled pork BBQ now. I have found "Bulls Eye" BBQ sauce does a good job for me. With all the sauces on the market there should be one there to satisfy anyones taste.
Charlie

Old 10-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
Jeff,
I'm sure your BBQ is delicious.
I was raised in SW Virginia and am very familiar with BBQ.

I do a pulled pork BBQ now. I have found "Bulls Eye" BBQ sauce does a good job for me. With all the sauces on the market there should be one there to satisfy anyones taste.
Charlie
Occasionally I will do a bottled BBQ. It isn't as good, but will work in a pinch.
Sweet Baby Ray's is pretty tasty... Especially after spicing it up a bit..

Tags
None