"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 07-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You can cook it on high, did that with the last one I made. It turned out fine.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks Dawg. I'll go turn it up right away.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was surprised at how quickly mine got done. Maybe Stirling won't be disappointed! You could also cut it into smaller chunks, or take some of it out and save for later.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Good to know - I haven't tried it on high.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I was surprised at how quickly mine got done. Maybe Stirling won't be disappointed! You could also cut it into smaller chunks, or take some of it out and save for later.
It was ready about 20h30. It's delicious. Stirling had already eaten because he only got five hours sleep and wants to go to bed early. He did get a taste and pronounced it a success.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Yay!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Katy, that looks amazing

So pleased it all turned out well and that you all loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
And the results are in:

In a word - Fabulous! (Which is just as well as my brother and I have been living with wondrous smells all day and I was getting a bit nervous towards the end that it wouldn't live up to the promise!)

The flavour of the pork was delicious and it had enough "heat" to make it zingy without blowing my head off. Obviously it was also utterly tender - though I didn't succeed in "shredding" it properly. It was more like small chunks - but none the worse for that I feel.

I served it in soft tortillas as planned and kept things really simple by adding sliced spring onions, sliced avocado, shredded lettuce, some of the onions and juice from the pot, a little lime juice and a dollop of sour cream. The pic attached isn't pretty, but obviously it was rolled up, so presentation wasn't the objective - plus I was in a hurry to try it!

I've used up the slightly smaller of the two pieces, so plenty left and I suspect it may feature in tomorrow's menu rather than going into the freezer.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Bump due to popular demand
Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #59
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My favorite thing to do with a pork shoulder.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #60
Head Chef

I had actually never done anything with a pork shoulder before doing this recipe.

Pork shoulders are not very inspiring but they are cheap (in the UK anyway), and this recipe is a terrific way of getting the best out of them.

I can quite honestly say that pulling the meat off a properly cooked shoulder is a genuinely pleasant thing! (You get to snaffle some as you go....) Oops, did I say that out loud?

Tags
recipe, pork, slow cooker

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork [B][SIZE=3]Slow Cooker Pulled Pork[/SIZE][/B] [B]Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)[/B] 4 tablespoons smoked paprika 2 tablespoons table salt 2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons ground cumin 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed 1 tablespoon garlic powder 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 1 tablespoon ground white pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container. [B]Pork [/B] 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast 1 yellow onion 1 cup apple cider vinegar Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over). Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce. Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings. 3 stars 1 reviews