"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)

4 tablespoons smoked paprika

2 tablespoons table salt

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 tablespoon ground white pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container.

Pork

3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast

1 yellow onion

1 cup apple cider vinegar

Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over).

Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork.

Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce.

Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Executive Chef

fabulous garlic.we've chatted about the white pepper on gravy's thread about pulled pork so i'm going to add that to my rub.never used the onions or the cider .....just usually dropped the pork straight in,so i'll be trying that too!
cheersgreat recipe!!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love CP pulled pork. Will definitely give this a go. Thanks, GG!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Wow! Never thought of using that much vinegar. But, I will. Just brought home a big piece of pork.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Wow! Never thought of using that much vinegar. But, I will. Just brought home a big piece of pork.
Cool Let me know how you like it.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love pulled pork from the slow cooker! Thanks for the rub!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds brilliant
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)
4 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container.

Pork
3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast
1 yellow onion
1 cup apple cider vinegar

Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over).

Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork.

Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce.

Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings.
This is perfect! I already have all of those seasonings and spices. All I need to do is get the pork and try to decide how to serve it - I am truly torn between the buns and the Mexican options! But I have a week to decide, so it's fine. (Who am I kidding, the Mexican option was always going to win!)

GG - thanks so much for this. I am very excited to cook this next weekend! (The recipe is copied and pasted.)
Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

Hey GG......where's the garlic?

I made this today and it was excellent, although I cut the spice mixture by half and still had some left over. Because I just knew you forgot the garlic,(wink, wink) I added two tsp. of garlic powder to the mix. I'm now a believer in the apple cider vinegar, and this is now my new "go to recipe" for great pulled pork.

I used a 5 lb. bone in, pork shoulder. Thanks so much for the recipe.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hey GG......where's the garlic?

I made this today and it was excellent, although I cut the spice mixture by half and still had some left over. Because I just knew you forgot the garlic,(wink, wink) I added two tsp. of garlic powder to the mix. I'm now a believer in the apple cider vinegar, and this is now my new "go to recipe" for great pulled pork.

I used a 5 lb. bone in, pork shoulder. Thanks so much for the recipe.
Oops! Totes forgot to mention that! Thanks for the correction! And glad you enjoyed it

Tags
recipe, pork, slow cooker

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork [B][SIZE=3]Slow Cooker Pulled Pork[/SIZE][/B] [B]Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)[/B] 4 tablespoons smoked paprika 2 tablespoons table salt 2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons ground cumin 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed 1 tablespoon garlic powder 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 1 tablespoon ground white pepper 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container. [B]Pork [/B] 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast 1 yellow onion 1 cup apple cider vinegar Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over). Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork. Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce. Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings. 3 stars 1 reviews