Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)

4 tablespoons smoked paprika

2 tablespoons table salt

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 tablespoon ground white pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container.

Pork

3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast

1 yellow onion

1 cup apple cider vinegar

Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over).

Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork.

Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce.

Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings.

Last edited by a moderator:
fabulous garlic.we've chatted about the white pepper on gravy's thread about pulled pork so i'm going to add that to my rub.never used the onions or the cider .....just usually dropped the pork straight in,so i'll be trying that too!
cheers:chef:great recipe!!

I love CP pulled pork. Will definitely give this a go. Thanks, GG!

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Spice Mix (adapted from Cooks Illustrated)
4 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine thoroughly in a small bowl. Any remaining spice mix can be stored for several months in an air-tight container.

Pork
3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast
1 yellow onion
1 cup apple cider vinegar

Cut the roast into two pieces, to provide more surface area for the spice mix, then massage the spices all over the pork. I start with about a half cup of the rub and put it in a separate container to avoid contaminating the original container (there will probably be some spice mix left over).

Refrigerate the meat in a plastic bag overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge to warm up a little. Peel and slice a yellow onion, place it in the bottom of the slow cooker, and put the roast on top. Then pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the pot, being careful not to wash the rub off the pork.

Cook for 8-10 hours, turning once, till fork-tender. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a large bowl, to cool slightly. Use two forks to remove the fat and pull the pork into shreds. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid (vinegar plus drippings and any rendered fat) into a cup measure and refrigerate to make the fat congeal on top; remove and discard the fat. The liquid may be used to moisten the pork, if necessary, or to make a sauce.

Serving suggestions: Mix pork with your favorite barbecue sauce and serve on burger buns with cole slaw. Or, mix pork with salsa and use to fill tacos, burritos or enchiladas, along with your favorite Mexican toppings.

This is perfect! I already have all of those seasonings and spices. All I need to do is get the pork and try to decide how to serve it - I am truly torn between the buns and the Mexican options! But I have a week to decide, so it's fine. (Who am I kidding, the Mexican option was always going to win!) :)

GG - thanks so much for this. I am very excited to cook this next weekend! (The recipe is copied and pasted.) ;)

Hey GG......where's the garlic? ;):rolleyes:

I made this today and it was excellent, although I cut the spice mixture by half and still had some left over. Because I just knew you forgot the garlic,(wink, wink) I added two tsp. of garlic powder to the mix. I'm now a believer in the apple cider vinegar, and this is now my new "go to recipe" for great pulled pork.

I used a 5 lb. bone in, pork shoulder. Thanks so much for the recipe. :yum::chef:

Hey GG......where's the garlic? ;):rolleyes:

I made this today and it was excellent, although I cut the spice mixture by half and still had some left over. Because I just knew you forgot the garlic,(wink, wink) I added two tsp. of garlic powder to the mix. I'm now a believer in the apple cider vinegar, and this is now my new "go to recipe" for great pulled pork.

I used a 5 lb. bone in, pork shoulder. Thanks so much for the recipe. :yum::chef:

Oops! Totes forgot to mention that! Thanks for the correction! ;) And glad you enjoyed it :)

I am very excited about making this on Sunday. Looking at Kayelle's post, I think I will halve the spice mix too. (And add some garlic).

I'll be buying the pork shoulder tomorrow (and obviously doing the "rub" on Saturday).

My question is this. I plan to serve the pulled pork in soft tortillas and I want the pork to be the "star" ingredient and not overwhelmed with too much sauce or other things, but what would go well with it in the tortillas? So far I am thinking sliced Avocado and spring onions. Or maybe home made guacamole instead?

Or is there a better way to serve it "Mexican" style?

I am very excited about making this on Sunday. Looking at Kayelle's post, I think I will halve the spice mix too. (And add some garlic).

I'll be buying the pork shoulder tomorrow (and obviously doing the "rub" on Saturday).

My question is this. I plan to serve the pulled pork in soft tortillas and I want the pork to be the "star" ingredient and not overwhelmed with too much sauce or other things, but what would go well with it in the tortillas? So far I am thinking sliced Avocado and spring onions. Or maybe home made guacamole instead?

Or is there a better way to serve it "Mexican" style?

Avocado and onions would be good. A squirt of lime juice and some light cheese, like Monterey Jack or mozzarella, would be good, too. That's the way they served it when I bought it from a food truck in California. There's always hot sauce to taste, too :)

Avocado and onions would be good. A squirt of lime juice and some light cheese, like Monterey Jack or mozzarella, would be good, too. That's the way they served it when I bought it from a food truck in California. There's always hot sauce to taste, too :)

Pretty sure my local Sainsburys doesn't have Monterey Jack, but mozzarella sounds really good!

So, would this be instead of the avocado or as well as?

And should I have something like a salad on the side? Or refried beans or something like that or just have the rolled up tortillas on their own? They seem like they will be pretty filling as they are.

Pretty sure my local Sainsburys doesn't have Monterey Jack, but mozzarella sounds really good!

So, would this be instead of the avocado or as well as?

And should I have something like a salad on the side? Or refried beans or something like that or just have the rolled up tortillas on their own? They seem like they will be pretty filling as they are.
I think a mild cheddar would be a good substitute for Monterey Jack. Someone here, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think just about any kind of grated cheese would work well (not Feta or goat). I love fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves in my Mexican food, but some people don't. In addition to avocado and onion you might consider strips of canned Ortega green chili's, but not sure you have that in England.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
We can get Monterey Jack cheese here in England, I can get it in Tesco and in Costco .

I have done Got Garlics pulled pork a few times now , it's just so good, I add nothing but caramelised onions and the cooking juices which are tasty and spicy.

We can get Monterey Jack cheese here in England, I can get it in Tesco and in Costco .

I have done Got Garlics pulled pork a few times now , it's just so good, I add nothing but caramelised onions and the cooking juices which are tasty and spicy.

Hi Gravy Queen.

No Monterey Jack in my local Sainsburys. However, I am not too bothered about the cheese. The pork is the star and I have all the ingredients for that! :)

Okay, I have my pork shoulder. Sadly there was none with the bone still in, but hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a problem. On the plus side, it means I can follow GG's recipe completely and can cut the joint in half. That means more surface area for the rub to penetrate as well, which can't be a bad thing! ;)

My joint has a thick rind/fat layer which I plan to cut off (ordinarily it would be the crackling on the roast but I'm pretty sure it would be pretty grim done in a slow cooker). :LOL:

So, I'm all set to go with the rub tomorrow. :)

Okay, I have my pork shoulder. Sadly there was none with the bone still in, but hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a problem. On the plus side, it means I can follow GG's recipe completely and can cut the joint in half. That means more surface area for the rub to penetrate as well, which can't be a bad thing! ;)

My joint has a thick rind/fat layer which I plan to cut off (ordinarily it would be the crackling on the roast but I'm pretty sure it would be pretty grim done in a slow cooker). :LOL:

So, I'm all set to go with the rub tomorrow. :)

Oh, how fun! You will have to post pictures of your progress, along with the finished product!

Oh, how fun! You will have to post pictures of your progress, along with the finished product!

Well now, that does rather depend on how it all ends up looking DL!! :LOL: But yes, I will take pictures as I go along and see how it all goes. (Knowing my luck I will need PF's assistance to post the pictures of course!) :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom