Spicy Italian Sausage Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Heres a variation of a popular lunch sandwhich.

Everybody knows the standard hot italian sausage sandwhich, normally served with a sauce and hot peppers.

Heres a variation that is easy and tastes great.

Grilled Italian Hot Sausage Sandwhich.

1 hot italian sausage
1 club roll
chopped white onion
sweet and spicy mustard (your favorite)
red bell pepper (cut into strips)
1 tsp. pepper
1/3 tsp. garlic salt

1. butterfly italian sausage placing casing side down on grill, add red bell pepper strips to grill
2. saute white onion in frying pan until slightly browned on corners
3. flip sausage and cook until just about done
4. flip sausage again and add chopped onion
5. sprinkle garlic salt and pepper on sausage and bell pepper strips
6. place red bell pepper strips on sausage, place club roll (cut down middle) on grill to brown, cook until finished
7. serve on club roll topped with spicy mustard, lettuce and tomato

I'd have to substitute Polish sausage for the Italian. If I put mustard on Italian sausage, my Sicilian grandmother, when she was finally done spinning in her grave, would certainly haunt me for the rest of my life!

The Italian and Irish in me always fight. I like to use sweet sausage, smoked, and brats, so it works for anything, i dont know why i specified it as a hot italian sausage sandwhich, i think it was because its all i have right now and ended up being my lunch today...

Last edited:
I love hot (as in spicy) Italian sausage sandwiches, but make mine a little differently.

First I grill or saute the sausages until done, then split them in half lenghwise (makes for easier eating).

I then split & toast a loaf of Italian bread or sub sandwich rolls & top with ketchup, crushed red pepper flakes, a light sprinkling of granulated garlic, sauteed onion & Cubanelle (or other sweet Italian frying type) pepper slices. Then finish by topping with the split sausages. Delicious!

I prefer ketchup on these sandwiches because its light sweetness adds a good foil for the spicy sausages & the crushed red pepper flakes. When I make these sandwiches "parmagian"-style, I use warmed tomato, pasta, or pizza sauce instead of ketchup & add grated mozzarella & parmesan cheese. Then the whole mess is run under the broiler so the cheese will melt.

I have taken the Italian sausage and peeled off the casing and reformed it into a hamburger shape to make in interesting sandwich. I started doing this when we did not have rolls or store bought sausage.

I still like to make it every so often with grilled onions and peppers. Or make little thumb sized meatballs and eat them with onions and peppers as a side dish or appetizer. Once I made just the onions and peppers with cracked fennel tossed in. I served it cold. It was like a fancy little side salad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom