"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 12-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Who here likes chitterlings?

the few times i've had chitterlings, i've thoroughly enjoyed them! i'm not sure if i would remember how to make them again today though. chitterlings smell godawful while they are cooking, and actually, smell pretty bad on your plate too. but i guess like with some good aged cheeses, once you make the trip to your mouth, you are richly rewarded for your efforts. i know it's holiday time and all, and here i am going on about chitterlings--sorry. but all the talk recently about headcheese and pickled pigs feet got me to craving some chitterlings. does anybody have a recipe to share? i have never had them fried--only boiled. but i would be interested in any good chitterlings recipe, and i thank you in advance....

Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Cupcake

I've never made them, but noticed that Livestrong has many recipes for how to make them and many other southern dishes.

All About chitterlings | LIVESTRONG.COM

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Trusting the person who cleaned the chitterlings is very important. Care must be taken when preparing chitterlings, due to the possibility of disease being spread when they have not been cleaned or cooked properly. These diseases and bacteria include E. coli and Yersinia enterocolitica, as well as Salmonella.

The chitterlings are turned inside out, cleaned and boiled, sometimes in baking soda, and the water is discarded. The chitterlings can then be used in a recipe.

A common practice is to place a halved onion in the pot to mitigate what many regard as a pungent, very unpleasant odor that can be particularly strong when the chitterlings begin to cook.

Common serving technique is with a vinegar based hot sauce and BBQ sauce. The vinegar odor and taste will disguise any remaining odor from the chitterlings.

Personally, I don't eat them. There are too many other foods available to resort to eating a pigs poop chute IMHO.

The risks outweigh the benefits, again, IMHO.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Executive Chef

man tim, you sure know how to almost quash an innocent chittlin' craving!! :( the cleaning part of the chitterlings project, i have well in hand--lots of soaking, scraping and rinsing--over and overandover again...:)
Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
man tim, you sure know how to almost quash an innocent chittlin' craving!! :( the cleaning part of the chitterlings project, i have well in hand--lots of soaking, scraping and rinsing--over and overandover again...:)
Sorry vitauta, it's a matter of exactly *what* you're eating! As long as you know to an absolute, that they were cleaned and prepped properly, chittlin's are ok to me, but not anything I would go out of my way to find.

Kind of like roasted sheep eyes.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've cooked them, and I've tried many times to eat them, but I just can't. Although I enjoy aged cheeses, and even the ones that are stinky when not aged, the smell of chitt'lin's just stops me cold. Like durian.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I saw them made in a diner on that Hairy Bikers show, right after they cooked the roadkill opossum or something.
I'll pass.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef

et tu, pacanis-te? oh well, i may be putting this one on a back burner for now....:(
Old 12-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I could have gone my entire life not knowing what chitterlings were...
Old 12-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
et tu, pacanis-te? oh well, i may be putting this one on a back burner for now....:(
The back burner on someone else's stove
I can appreciate using all the parts of the animal though.

Tags
other