"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 06-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
We skipped going to the Bacon Fest and went and had dinner at a place that we had never been to before. BIG MISTAKE.

First off I think some Yelp reviewers are liars. I would only have rated the place a 1, and that's just because I'm nice.They gave the place almost 5 stars.. Seriously?
That being said. I went out of my comfort zone and ordered what should have been Lamb chops. It was the Special on the dinner menu. They were chopped alright.

Never having it before I'm suspecting they over cooked it. Is Ketchup supposed to accompany it? I thought mint jelly was the rule.
It was tough as nails. dry as dust, flavorless. S&P was the only seasoning. Is that the way it should have been cooked?

Hubby and I traded plates. He's such a gentleman.

Ummm, the fish and chips that he ordered wasn't Cod as the menu said it was supposed to be. Rubber bands was more like it.
Our dogs loved it. They would.
Definitely NOT the way lamb chops should be cooked! My mother and grandmother used to roast them in the oven and I grill/broil mine. I like mine a little pink inside but others like them fully cooked but not "dry as dust, flavorless". Yours were over-cooked by anyone's standards. Over here we generally have mint jelly of mint sauce with lamb but some people enjoy redcurrant jelly with it. There's nothing to stop you putting ketchup or even HP Sauce with them but they wouldn't be my choice.

Definitely a restaurant to avoid.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
For sure Steve!

These are the gorgeous loin chops from Costco. They look like little Porterhouse steaks.
Yum!

Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...this weekend for our 4th of July cookout, I'm making beef souvlaki rather than lamb or pork because it's the "safe" alternative.
My Mom loved lamb but had a dog who would bark wildly whenever she cooked it. He was a Corgi - probably had his herding gene kick in at the smell. Himself and I would have the folks over for shish kebobs every summer, skewers of lamb for those who loved it, beef for those who didn't. Worked out great. It should be easy to do even on the nights it's just you and your SO.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Come winter time, I look for the sickest lamb chops that nobody wants and use them for lamb stew with barley. Every one gets their own chop. And it is nice and tender and juicy. I have noticed over the years that those packages of lamb chops are usually as much as twenty-five cents a pound cheaper than the other packages with all the beautiful ones. I never buy any meat that has already been cut up and called stew meat. For me it is a rip off. You don't know what that meat really is.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 AM   #45
Head Chef

Shoulder lamb chops these days have a lot of fat running thru them. I remember years ago my parents buying lamb chops from the Navy commissary. They were oval shaped with a round bone towards one end. No fat running thru them. Today's lamb shoulder chops are fatty. When I do see one that looks lean, I freeze them. I have 2 or 3 halfway decent looking ones frozen. They still don't look like they did from decades past. Times have changed.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Shoulder lamb chops these days have a lot of fat running thru them. I remember years ago my parents buying lamb chops from the Navy commissary. They were oval shaped with a round bone towards one end. No fat running thru them. Today's lamb shoulder chops are fatty. When I do see one that looks lean, I freeze them. I have 2 or 3 halfway decent looking ones frozen. They still don't look like they did from decades past. Times have changed.

I've not heard shoulder or leg cuts being labelled chops. (I think the photo is a round cut). Costco's lamb chops are loin cuts.

Funny about the fat. I consider most meat cuts available today over trimmed. The flavor and tenderness is in the fat. JMO.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

That's not like any shoulder chop I've seen. Since I was a kid, shoulder chops look like the picture below. Notice it has a long bone along the bottom edge rather than a round bone in the center. I use them to make a lamb stew.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post

That looks more like what used to be regularly in the meat case as arm chops. They were tough as rubber, really only good for stew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's not like any shoulder chop I've seen. Since I was a kid, shoulder chops look like the picture below. Notice it has a long bone along the bottom edge rather than a round bone in the center. I use them to make a lamb stew.
Those were in the case as blade chops, and were usually quite tender and great for grilling or broiling. They were also much cheaper than the rib or loin chops, and I had them far more often.

Any more I rarely see either type. The lamb section in the supermarket seems to be more of an afterthought around here.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
...Those were in the case as blade chops...
...as in, shoulder blade chops.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yeah, Andy's pic is what I am familiar with as shoulder chops. Like RPCookin, I find them tender enough for grilling or frying. OTH, Stirling doesn't like them because there is too much bone. I will probably use Andy's suggestion of using them for stew.

Tags
cook, lamb, recipe

How Should Lamb Chops be Cooked? We skipped going to the Bacon Fest and went and had dinner at a place that we had never been to before. BIG MISTAKE.:ohmy: First off I think some Yelp reviewers are liars. I would only have rated the place a 1, and that's just because I'm nice.They gave the place almost 5 stars.. Seriously? That being said. I went out of my comfort zone and ordered what should have been Lamb chops. It was the Special on the dinner menu. They were chopped alright. Never having it before I'm suspecting they over cooked it. Is Ketchup supposed to accompany it? I thought mint jelly was the rule. It was tough as nails. dry as dust, flavorless. S&P was the only seasoning. Is that the way it should have been cooked? Hubby and I traded plates. He's such a gentleman. :flowers: Ummm, the fish and chips that he ordered wasn't Cod as the menu said it was supposed to be. Rubber bands was more like it. Our dogs loved it. They would.:rolleyes: 3 stars 1 reviews