"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Leg of Lamb sides

My family and I have decided to forego the traditional turkey and ham dinner on Christmas this year. We have decide to go with a leg of lamb. However, I'm tired of normal side dishes. I need some help. I need some ideas to rock my guests.

Thanks for the Help,
Jan

Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Mr. Greenjeans

Alton Brown's mashed sweet potatoes!!! They go great with lamb.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Cupcake

Roasted Root Vegetables

To me, some creamy mashed potatoes simply cannot be beat. You could guzzy them up with some cheeses, or rosemary, or some dill and garlic, OR any combination above. For a bit of colorful flash, how about roasted root vegetables? They are colorful, yummy, and even good for you. Plus, the combinations are only limited by your imagination and they are EASY to cook.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ingredients:
  • Select 5 or 6 root vegetables to make 1.5 to 2 pounds. Pay attention to colors, etc. (Potatoes (unpeeled), carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, whatever.)
  • 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered *optional
  • 8 -10 cloves of garlic, unpeeled (but snip the tips so you can squeeze them out! YUM!) *optional
  • 2 to 3 Tablespoons of oil (use your favorite oil or use a bit of butter mixed with oil.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons of finely chopped fresh herbs or 1 Tablespoon of dry well-crumbled herbs. (Some of my favorites are rosemary or thyme. Select something that will blend with the seasonings of your main course.)
Scrub, peel (as needed) and cut veggies into chunks. (Cut big pieces for those veggies that cook faster and smaller pieces for those that cook slower.)

Toss the veggies, onion*, and garlic* with oil or oil/melted butter in a heavy roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt.

Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add fresh ground pepper and herbs, and then continue to roast and stir for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the veggies are nicely browned.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

You can also add pieces of squash to this, which is a nice variation. Really, it is simple and you can toss in whatever sounds good to you. It can be a very pretty dish.

Enjoy!

~Kathleen
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Head Chef

These are all great - If you're interested in any of these, I'll PM the recipe(s) to you:
ROASTED ASPARAGUS WITH CRISP SHALLOTS
CARROT CONFIT
PARMESAN GREEN BEANS
EASY BAKED POTATO WEDGES
GREEK POTATOES
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Rice pilaf and a tomato and string bean side dish.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
To me, some creamy mashed potatoes simply cannot be beat. You could guzzy them up with some cheeses, or rosemary, or some dill and garlic, OR any combination above. For a bit of colorful flash, how about roasted root vegetables? They are colorful, yummy, and even good for you. Plus, the combinations are only limited by your imagination and they are EASY to cook.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ingredients:
  • Select 5 or 6 root vegetables to make 1.5 to 2 pounds. Pay attention to colors, etc. (Potatoes (unpeeled), carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, whatever.)
  • 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered *optional
  • 8 -10 cloves of garlic, unpeeled (but snip the tips so you can squeeze them out! YUM!) *optional
  • 2 to 3 Tablespoons of oil (use your favorite oil or use a bit of butter mixed with oil.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons of finely chopped fresh herbs or 1 Tablespoon of dry well-crumbled herbs. (Some of my favorites are rosemary or thyme. Select something that will blend with the seasonings of your main course.)
Scrub, peel (as needed) and cut veggies into chunks. (Cut big pieces for those veggies that cook faster and smaller pieces for those that cook slower.)

Toss the veggies, onion*, and garlic* with oil or oil/melted butter in a heavy roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt.

Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Add fresh ground pepper and herbs, and then continue to roast and stir for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the veggies are nicely browned.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

You can also add pieces of squash to this, which is a nice variation. Really, it is simple and you can toss in whatever sounds good to you. It can be a very pretty dish.

Enjoy!

~Kathleen
Great idea - I love roasted vegetables.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

merstar,

The asparagus recipe would be great. My son is always after me to fix it, but have yet to find one that I like.

Thanks,
Jan
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Also, the parmesian green beans. Too, much green?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge64 View Post
Also, the parmesian green beans. Too, much green?
Jan,
Check your PM's - both recipes have been sent.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Senior Cook

i suggest couscous or potato gratin..I also love some baked cherry tomatoes with some herb spice...you could also try some cheese dish like mozzarella sticks or jalapeño poppers.

Tags
None