Fried Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only had turtle soup once, & that was as a child. It was from a tin & was clear with chunks of turtle meat floating in it. All I remember was that when the bowl was set before me, the smell reminded me of an aquarium when you lift the lid - lol - & I couldn't force it down.

It also didn't help that back then everyone had those tiny baby red-ear slider turtles as pets - little plastic basin with plastic palm tree & all!!

When I lived in Plattenville, La, there was a roadhouse at the end of a road out in the swamps that had wonderful food, including turtle soup and turtle stew. They had great fried frog legs, too.
I also had turtle soup at Brennen's, in New Orleans. All were delicious, and each tasted a little different.
I've never had fried turtle, but I'd love to try it.

They don't use the green sea turtles any more, just the big old swamp turtles, so don't feel guilty about partaking.

Connie, I also had some great turtle soup in N.O. at the hotel I stayed in when I went down there for Mardi Gras. Free too, which made it even better!

Sadly, the Hurricanes from the bar were not free.

S&S - do they serve armadillo in any of the TX restaurants?

The turtle soup at Brennen's was NOT free, Mudbug. :ermm:

Armadillo? I ate fried rattlesnake when I was in Texas, but have never heard of eating armadillo. I remember seeing a few along the road in Florida, though. That's a very primitive animal. Did you know that they are all the same sex?

mudbug said:
Connie, I also had some great turtle soup in N.O. at the hotel I stayed in when I went down there for Mardi Gras. Free too, which made it even better!

Sadly, the Hurricanes from the bar were not free.

S&S - do they serve armadillo in any of the TX restaurants?

I've never heard of anyone eating armadillo here in Texas but I do see alot of them dead on the roads here.

Armadillo Casserole

Dave's Mexican Armadillo Casserole

~ 1 lb ground armadillo
~ 1 medium onion, chopped
~ 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
~ 1 tsp cumin
~ 2 tbsp ground chili pepper
~ 2 cans diced green chilies
~ 1 can diced tomatoes
~ 1 can corn, drained
~ 1 cup diced zucchini
~ 2 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese
~ 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

In a skillet, add the meat, onions and cilantro. Season with the cumin and chili pepper. Cook until brown. Drain fat if any.

Stir in the green chilies, tomatoes, corn and zucchini.

Pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle on the cheese.

Prepare cornbread batter according to package. Pour over top of cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.

Serve and enjoy.

i would recommend hamburger for this dish.............
recipe was offered for information purposes only..............:sick:

:ohmy: Sweet smolians we have gone mad!

I am very open minded by this one is just too hard to swallow (pun intended)

I would assume slow cooked is the best...?

Uhmmm and the shell, what do you do with it, make broth ?

Regards,

Steve

urmaniac13 said:
img_294597_0_e8ca499688c7514c6963e08b46a8441f.jpg
Hey, Mikey, Raphael, what are we going to do with this guy??
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

By the way, I used to have a PET turtle, and for me eating turtle would be like eating dog.

when i was in vietnam, back in the sixties, i was visiting a fairly large town, and looking for a public privvy........... out behind a bar, i found one.........returning to the bar, i noticed about a dozen or so puppies in cages. cute little buggers, they were, and, being a coon-dog lover since birth, i asked if i could buy one to take back to base-camp. i was told they were needed for the kitchen!
i didn't eat there!!!!:shock:

Yes - that's an unfortunate fact of different cultures. Although here in the U.S. we consider such animals as parrots, dogs, horses, etc., as "companion" animals, that is not the case in other parts of the world.

I recall watching a documentary on dogs a few years ago, & they broached the subject of how dogs are "considered" in other countries. It was revolting, yet at the same time fascinating in a surreal sort of way.

urmaniac13 said:
img_304728_0_e8ca499688c7514c6963e08b46a8441f.jpg
Hey, Mikey, Raphael, what are we going to do with this guy??

Yup, we have big plans for you my friends....

Heroes in a half shell, Save our hunger!

( jk, I dunno if I could eat turtle lol )

In the good ole days of Chesapeake Bay Cuisine, Maryland Terrapin (pronounced Murlin Tarpin), was not a college team but a dish savooured by gourmets of the east coast. THe terrapin was cooked in it's shell, cleaned and presented to the diner in the inverted shell, with a cream sauce, and dry sherry. Delicious!

I remember having something called Mock Turtle Soup as a kid. I recall that I really liked it - so off to google I went:

Mock Turtle Soup Recipe

Ingredients
1/2 cup oil
1/2 pound beef (inexpensive cut), chopped
1/2 pound pork (Boston butt or roast), chopped
1/2 pound chicken, chopped
3/4 cup flour
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp finely chopped celery
10 cups meat stock or water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Salt to taste
Louisiana hot sauce to taste
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped fine
Sherry (optional)
Lemon slices (optional)

Instructions
Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat and brown all the meat. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
In the same pot, stir in the flour to make a dark roux, stirring while cooking until the roux is dark brown. To the dark roux, add the onions, green onions, parsley and celery, stirring after each addition, and cook until the onions are clear. Add 1 cup of the stock and stir to form a thick paste, then stir in the tomato sauce. Stir in the remaining stock, then add the meats, salt and hot sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer another hour.
Serve with a teaspoon of sherry and a slice of lemon.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings Credits
Recipe from: Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin' by Justin Wilson (Macmillan)

I just might have to make this. It does sound good.

Back
Top Bottom