"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 10-27-2004, 11:16 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Re: Anyone here ever have a Heart Attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I had one in 1997.
My hubby had a BAD MI in April this year - actually arrested and was revived by a bystander...he is being medically discharged after 30 years in the Air Force and I "think" he is going thru the normal grief stages - including denial.
How did you keep yourself on track as far as diet and exercise?
I must admit - I have not maintained my 'good' cooking habits - low salt, low fat no flavor because I watch him eat everything he can get his hands on - so what's the point - although I am cooking much healthier now than before and am trying to keep us all away from so much fast food. He's probably gained 20 pounds and has quit exercising - I feel like I"m watching him slowly commit suicide - probably a stage most go thru - but is there any light at the end of the tunnel??? Any family advice?

Old 10-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Re: Anyone here ever have a Heart Attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsTXDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I had one in 1997.
My hubby had a BAD MI in April this year - actually arrested and was revived by a bystander...he is being medically discharged after 30 years in the Air Force and I "think" he is going thru the normal grief stages - including denial.
How did you keep yourself on track as far as diet and exercise?
I must admit - I have not maintained my 'good' cooking habits - low salt, low fat no flavor because I watch him eat everything he can get his hands on - so what's the point - although I am cooking much healthier now than before and am trying to keep us all away from so much fast food. He's probably gained 20 pounds and has quit exercising - I feel like I"m watching him slowly commit suicide - probably a stage most go thru - but is there any light at the end of the tunnel??? Any family advice?
I am doing the same thing. Eating and drinking whatever I want on the most part. I keep gaining weight and am easily short of breatn I keep putting off seeing my cardiologist. I went through a severe depression after the MI in 1997. However I have made it a goal to go to the spa today and swim. I may play with the light weights and the machines. I hope to make it a new habit.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:19 PM   #23
Senior Cook

This post actually compelled me back to the gym...I have had injuries for the past 2 years that gave me an adequate excuse...except my son told me I was being lazy...so off to the treadmill for almost 30 minutes...hopefully the first trip of many!
Old 10-27-2004, 02:31 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Just a couple months ago I had the classic female symptoms, some of which I didn't even know existed. But when I went online to check the symptoms females have I was shocked to see the ONE thing that bothered me the most.

I had a severe tightening and pain in my lower jaw line, like someone was pinching my jaw really hard. Along with the chest tightening right smack in the middle, weak for about 15 minutes. I was so afraid to call for my husband as soon as I could I just went to the couch to stretch out. After about 15 minutes I felt like it was safe to get up. I went within a couple days to get checked out and they said what I felt was "all correct" it just didn't show up anywhere. THANK GOODNESS. I figure it was God's way of saying - "Now, if you feel this again you'll know to take an aspirin and call 911".

All my tests checked out OK and I am grateful!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 10-27-2004, 05:14 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Nope. Not me, but my father did. He had one on the golf course and didn't even know it. He thought he got the flu. I thought he had pneumonia because of his shortness of breath. Over his protestations, I took him to the doctor and 30 minutes later, he was in an ambulance and spent the next 10 days in the cardiac care unit.

He's now addicted to rat poison. :twisted:
Old 10-27-2004, 05:19 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, ya got me. i'm going to start working out again too. i broke out my speedskates and went for a glide for lunch today thru central park (now i'm so hungry i could eat one of those handsome cab horsies).

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:46 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsTXDeb
This post actually compelled me back to the gym...I have had injuries for the past 2 years that gave me an adequate excuse...except my son told me I was being lazy...so off to the treadmill for almost 30 minutes...hopefully the first trip of many!
I just got back from Bally's. I worked out with weight machines for 15 minutes and went swimming for 15 minutes. Thats a start. I used the whirlpool and steam room too. I feel pretty good right now.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Old 10-27-2004, 07:07 PM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Oh, gosh...You're all becoming dedicated, so I guess I must, too. I've been sitting at this darned computer day after day, putting together pages for the website. When I finish, though, I'm so without energy that I don't want to do anything but loaf. Gotta get through that in between stage and get the blood going. I don't look like I have a bunch of weight to lose, but I feel it and I know what it would take to be the size I want. Cutting salt makes a huge difference, so I'll be working on that tonight as I cook. Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm motivated! :D Take care of yourselves, you people with heart histories. We want you around for a long, long time.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Boy, all this talk about going to the gym. I decided to get off my butt and get my heart pumping.

Went to the market and bought a bottle of Sriracha hot sauce to use in my crab cakes. That should get the blood flowing.