Afraid to mess up my favorite soup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Here's my soup of the day....

I dont have any celery and I dont want to run out for 1 silly thing like celery.
Am I gonna completely change my soup that I've finally got just about perfect???

Suzi's Minnesota Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1/2 lb bacon, chopped
1 1/2 cup diced carrot
1 1/2 cup diced celery
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves minced garlic (or to taste, as is everything)
3-4 cups diced cooked chicken
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
8 cups chicken broth
3-4 cups cooked wild rice (I make rice 1 cup rice, 3 cups water, use it all)
2 cups 1/2 and 1/2
salt and pepper to taste

Will need a large soup pot, dutch oven is too small.

Render bacon til crisp, remove from pot, leave drippings.
Cook carrot, celey, onion til just soft, add garlic, cook 1-2 more min.
Add butter and melt, add flour and cook 2-3 min.
Add broth, bacon and chicken, simmer 5 min.
Add cream and rice, heat thru, add salt and pepper to taste.

You will not mess up the soup by leaving it out. It will not be the same, but it will still be delicious. There is enough going on in there that it will not make or break the final result.

thanks guys....
I'll let you know my "professional" opinion after dinner!
:)

I'm pretty sure that leaving the celery out will render the soup unusable, but still very mailable!
To me of course! That sounds delicious, Suzi :chef:

Oh boy, now I did it. :rolleyes:
It's a decent day out, so I went and ripped out the garden and tilled it over...
Before this I ate the last of yesterdays Swiss Steak. :pig:
So now I'm VERY WARM, very full, and don't even want to THINK about what time the soup would be finished if I started now.
I may just make the rice, cook the chicken, and have the parts ready to throw together tomorrow.....
and stop and grab celery on the way home from work....:angel:

Thanks for the votes of confidence though!!!
Really!!

I'm stocking up on dried vegetables, for when I don't have the fresh on hand to make soup or other recipes and I don't want to go to the store for one item.

Oh thats a good idea LC.... Do they sell dried celery? Never thought to look!
Seems to be I'm out of that alot, I go thru it quick around here, what with all the ants on a log the kids eat.
:)

You'll never know the diference. If you do call me up, I'll come and finishe the soup for you my self. Not only that, you can add the celery tomorow.

Hey! Who was that person here who had too much celery in their soup? :LOL:

Dried veggies? They have those besides split peas?
I hate buying celery. I bought some a couple weeks ago for something, used a stock or two and still have it in the drawer. It still seems good, but it usually goes bad before I use it up or give it to the chickens.

I use celery as part of a base for a lot of things. Chop it up and cook it with the onions - just adds another little dimenson of flavour. DW loves it, crunching it raw.
Of couse, it is also one of the classic stock flavours.

I use celery as part of a base for a lot of things. Chop it up and cook it with the onions - just adds another little dimenson of flavour. DW loves it, crunching it raw.
Of couse, it is also one of the classic stock flavours.

Yeah, I should really start fixing myself a veggie plate to snack on. I love carrots and celery dipped in blue cheese dressing, but it's just that those Almond Joy candy bars are so much easier to grab and eat. :angel:

Kathe let me know if you cant find wild rice, I'll send some with the candycorn!!!

If it were me, I think I would have thrown in some celery seeds. Celery is a unique flavor and I would have wanted it in the soup even if I couldn't have fresh. Wouldn't be exactly the same as fresh, but close enough.

Suzi, while I love celery, if my oldest sone were to see me put celery in anything, he'd saddle up and get out of Dodge:LOL: Really the soup sound perfect as is.. I'd have a bowl in a heartbeat.
kadesma
I

Back
Top Bottom