Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for this welcomed post since I have been wondering whether or not to chuck out the bones. Hopefully others here will agree with what you say, i.e. that the small amount of harissa left on the bones would make no odds. I suppose my concern was whether the long simmering might cause the harissa to have an adverse effect, e.g. souring the stock?

I have to admit I know I should put veg in with the bones but rarely do - I add bayleaves and the occasional onion. I simmer for one and a half hours since I read that longer simmering is not advantageous. In future I will be baking the bones first though since I have had confirmation here that this certainly adds more flavour, i.e. not just colour.

I like your Oscar Wilde quote...he is someone I greatly admire.
color.gif

Braising is good to seal the meat and add colour to the meat. I just roast mine usually less colour but I trade tender, torn, shredded and tasty for the braised edge. Maybe I'm lazy but it's yummy as can be

I sear the beef bones and then put them in a roaster psn. I cook them at 450 for about an hour and then add water, etc. and cook that at 250 overnight. I do the same wirh chicjen, Turkey, lamb and pork bones. I break the poultry bones. I end up with "jello". My secret ingred for poultry stock is pickling spice. Until I started roasting bones, my stock was meh. I just coukdn't get the depth of flavour. Yes, it takes two days, but it is worth it. I worked at a restaurant where it took 3 days to make gravy...I stop after day 2 when making stock.

Back
Top Bottom