Can I use glazed baked ham in Pea Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tutu

Assistant Cook
I made a baked spiral ham for christmas dinner. I put a glaze on it.
Can I use this ham for Pea soup?

Yes, so long as you cut the outer layer off to remove the glaze. Pea soup is a savory dish. I can't imagine the flavor of cherry, pineapple, or even maple or sugar going well with the pungeant peas or salty ham.

Though I think pea soup would go well with an English muffin that was dressed with something sweet, and maybe a bit tart. But I still wouldn't combine the flavors.

Then again, you never know unless you try. In my earlier years, I tried to save a batch of spagheti sauce by adding sweetness to it. I wa at my MOL's house and was asked to prepare a spaghetti dinner. I complied. But when I poured the ingredients from a bottle labled garlic, cinnamon came out and was not the flavor I wanted. I tried to add brown sugar, and raisins, similar to a wonderful tamale that someone had once given me. it was not saveable.

Yes cooking is about ballance of flavors, nutrition, and colors. But just as there are colors and sounds that don't combine, so too are there flavors that don't belong together. I think that the glaze would be wrong for the soup.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i don't know. i think the glaze would be good. i just made soup with my ham with glaze on it and it was terrific. wasn't a pea soup though

i'm with middie, should be ok. i don't think there's enough surface area with the glaze on it that would affect the soup greatly. even if it did, i think you would just end up with a new version of pea soup that you could call your own. often, pea soup is served with carrots cooked in it, which are sweet, so i think sweet ham would be ok.

I also would remove any fruity glaze (I can imagine a glaze based on maple or brown sugar in it). But mainly a good thick pea soup is easy to scorch as it is, I'd avoid the sugar content which would make it even easier!!!!

Back
Top Bottom