CWS' Tex-Mex Hot and sour soup
I wanted soup that I could make in a hurry today. A quick tour of the pantry and freezer netted me some frozen chickpeas, corn, homemade corn tortillas, two jars of homemade salsa and the last jar of pickled (Sour) cabbage (not the same as sauerkraut, but that could be used or quick pickled cabbage could be used).
Back in the Kitchen:
1. Toast about 2 tsp cumin seeds, 3/4 tsp corriander seeds, 1/2 star anise, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1-1/2 tsp cocoa powder, some chipolte for about 3-4 minutes in dry ci pan.
2. Let cool and then grind. Sift to remove hull of star anise.
3. Dump beef stock, salsa, corn, chickpeas and pickled cabbage in Stock pot.
4. Add spices (reserve 3/4 tsp for tortilla ribbons) and 1/4 c tamari or soy sauce.
5. Add 3-4 c chopped kale or spinach.
6. Simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Add chopped fresh basil, cilantro, lime zest and the juice of one lime right before serving.
While soup is simmering Step 6, heat 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees. Cut tortillas in ribbons. Fry for 2-3 minutes until crisp. Sprinkke with reserved spices and a bit of salt.
To serve: ladle soup in bowl, garnish with yougurt or Sour cream, fresh cilantro, lime zest, tortilla ribbons, green onions, additional salsa or hot sauce. It hit the spot.