French Onion Soup Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TL.....Just out of curiosity, what kind of dutch oven are you using? I agree that the heat was more than likely too high and perhaps not stirred enough. But a thinner bottomed pan would contribute to a burning issue as well.

TL.....Just out of curiosity, what kind of dutch oven are you using? I agree that the heat was more than likely too high and perhaps not stirred enough. But a thinner bottomed pan would contribute to a burning issue as well.

Copco, enamelled, cast iron. I think a big part of the problem is cooking on an electric stove. I have been cooking on electric for 35 years and I still wish I had a gas stove.

Copco, enamelled, cast iron. I think a big part of the problem is cooking on an electric stove. I have been cooking on electric for 35 years and I still wish I had a gas stove.

OMG, my worst nightmares! I'm home shopping and there's nothing quicker to get me to about-face and get out of there when I see an electric stove.

Yes, I know, I can have gas installed if the neighborhood is gassed. Mostly that's the case. I would never, ever, never move into a neighborhood that is totally electric.

I've been a total abject failure the few times in my life that I've had to cook on electric. The best I ever came out was ruined dinners and finding a good burn remedy. (Butesin Picrate)

'Scuse me. While I'm no chef and certainly not a gourmet, I am a decent cook. I love my glasstop electric stove. It does everything I need it to do, is easy to clean, and looks nice.

Yeah, but you have practice. ;)

I grew up with gas and I like its advantages.

Here in Quebec they have an atrocious safety record when it comes to gas as compared to California. Lots and lots of people are afraid to have it in their homes. I'm sure it's safe now, but old buildings with old gas pipes that haven't been inspected and maintained properly is a formula for disaster. That's what it used to be like around here, forty years and more ago.

I lived in an apartment that still had gas pipes for lights. And they had gas in them if you turned the little key at the bottom. When they put electric in the building they took all the shortcuts they could get away with. I turned the landlord in as I felt it wasn't a safe building. He couldn't evict me. I was protected by law. He ended up selling the house at a loss. The new owners ended up having to make all the changes. By then I had moved.

I have electric to cook with. And I have had gas. I prefer gas, but can make the adjustments with the electric. I like the electric for the oven though. :chef:

I have electric to cook with. And I have had gas. I prefer gas, but can make the adjustments with the electric. I like the electric for the oven though. :chef:

A lot of Danes get a stove with gas burners and an electric oven.

What is it you like better about the electric oven?

A lot of Danes get a stove with gas burners and an electric oven.

What is it you like better about the electric oven?

I can set the oven on preheat and it does it in half the time than a gas stove does. And it seems to heat all of the oven more evenly than a gas stove does. :)

taxlady said:
Sherry would have been over the top. There was already dry French vermouth and brandy. :LOL:

:hmy!: On the rocks, with an olive or a pickled onion!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom