ISO Pea and Ham Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bea

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I am very new at this chat room business so I hope you'll all be nice and tell me if i'm not doing something right.

I am looking for a recipe for Pea and Ham soup. I can't stand the stuff but my flatmates love it. Thought it would be a nice surprise if i made it for them tonight.

Belinda

Bea,

Welcome to DiscussCooking!!! We're the nicest bunch of people around so you don't have to worry about that!!! You are doing everything just perfect! Now, for that ham and pea soup - here are a few:

SPLIT PEA SOUP
8 cups water
1 pound dried split peas (about 2-1/4 cups)
1 to 2 lb smoked ham (or a couple smoked ham hocks)
1 med onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 or 3 carrots chopped
2 or 3 stalks celery chopped

Heat water and peas to boiling. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 1 hour.

Add ham (whole), onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until peas are tender, about 1 hour.

Remove ham and trim meat from bone. (I usually use 1 lb boneless smoked ham). Cut ham to 1/2 inch pieces. Stir ham, carrots, and celery into soup. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender, about 45 minutes.

It freezes well.

GREEN SPLIT PEA SOUP
Serves 4-6
16 Ounces dry green split peas
2 Scallions, chopped
1 Small onion, chopped
¾ Cup celery, chopped
5 Cups water
5 Cups chicken broth
½ Teaspoon thyme
4-6 Ounce ham shank
4 Cloves garlic
1 Bay leaf

1. In a large pot, bring the water and chicken broth to a boil.

2. Rinse the beans and drain. Add them to the pot and stir.

3. Remove the thick skin of fat surrounding the ham and
discard. Trim as much fat as possible. Add the meat to the pot.

4. Add the scallions, onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf and thyme.
Return the pot to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.

5. Remove the meat from the pot and dice into bite size pieces.
Set aside.

6. Remove the bay leaf and puree the liquid in a blender and
return it to the pot. Return the meat to the pot and simmer
for another ½ hour, stirring as it cooks. Serve hot.

Split Pea Soup
Portions: 8-10
1 pound split green peas
2 quarts water
2 large smoked ham hocks
2 onions, finely chopped
2 large potatoes, diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp.

Instructions:
1. Rinse the split peas and combine with all other ingredients in a large pot.

2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook for 1 hour. Remove ham hock bones and cook 1 hour.

3. Freeze unused portions.

Recipe is easily halved or doubled with cooking time remaining the same.

Good luck Bea and Happy Cooking! Thanks for stopping by DiscussCooking. Hang around with us and share your favorite recipes!

GREEN SPLIT PEA SOUP
Serves 4-6
16 Ounces dry green split peas, rinsed
4 Cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 small carrots, diced
1 Small onion, chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
5 Cups water
3 chicken buillion cubes
1-2 ham hocks or 1/2 lb or more cubed cooked smoked ham

Combine all ingredients in dutch oven. Simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, till carrots and potato are tender, and peas have cooked to a thick soup. You may need to add more water. Great served with a crisp salad, and toasted garlic cheese bread

I hate peas, but I love split pea soup. Is that weird or what? All the recipes above sound good. Next week I may have to make one of them. I look forward to winter and fall because I love to make soups, stews, and chilis. This week I am going to make a traditional beef stew and a pot chili. I like to make recipes for soups, stews, etc. that can cook in the crockpot when I am at work.

SC

Kitchen elf, you're after my heart. Pretty much exactly how I make it. You can do without the herbs if you have to, but most of them have the herbs sitting in our cupboards, not getting full use and thyme especially is great in soups. If you can't get ham hocks (I've lived places where you can't) and don't want to buy a whole ham to eventually get down to the bone, you can buy ham soup base, or take 4 or 5 strips of a very smokey bacon, fry them, then saute the onion & garlic in the bacon fat, chop the bacon and build on that. If you want to go fully vegetarian, put the vegetables on a charcoal grill, brushed with olive oil, then chop and use in the soup. You'll get that smoked flavor without the meat. BUT --- well, to me, ham hocks rule.

Pea soup and Johnny Cake, make a French-man's belly ache!

After formatting my hard drive a few weeks ago I lost a lot of recipes, pea soup included. I have it on a scrap of paper somewhere and will search it out now you guys have reminded me. One thing I do remember is, I always put a teaspoon of dried mint in. Makes a hell of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom