Really hearty soups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperIronChef

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have any recipe that they could share with me for hearty soups or stews? I made beef bourguignon but it was more of stew than a soup. I'm looking for soups that are almost as hearty as beef bourguignon and is more of a meal than a soup, but is still considered a soup. I'll take some hearty stew recipes too. :)

Does it have to be with meat, or can it be vegetarian with beans?

Okay, here ya go. These are delicious and hearty!

I add a can of navy beans to this, and puree only half the soup, and leave the rest chunky. Also, I don't roast the cauliflower:
CURRIED CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH CORIANDER CHUTNEY
Living in the Kitchen with Puppies: Curried Cauliflower Soup with Coriander Chutney

For this one, I use low sodium chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, canned tomatoes instead of fresh, omit the tomato paste, and I increase the garlic, onion, and spices. I also saute the garlic and onion in extra virgin olive oil instead of the listed vegetable spray:
VEGETARIAN TORTILLA SOUP
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup Recipe at Epicurious.com

In this one, I omit the tomato paste and water, and sub canned tomatoes:
CUBAN SHRIMP STEW
Rate Review Cuban Shrimp Stew Recipe - Food.com - 54232

I guess gumbo would qualify as a stew which is served over rice. Now you have a means to satisfy your rice dish as well. That is, if you like cajun food.;)

Beef Barley Soup with Mushrooms

2 Tb Oil

2 Lb Beef Chuck
1 Tb Oil
1 Carrot, diced
Onion, diced
1 Celery rib, diced

TT S&P
1 Tb Tomato Paste
5 C Beef Broth
5 C Chicken Broth

½ tsp Thyme, dry
1 C Barley, rinsed
1 C Canned Tomato
3 Tb
Butter
1 Tb Oil
¾
Lb Mushrooms, quartered

Heat a 7
¼-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Trim the fat and cut the meat into small cubes. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Sear the meat on all sides until well browned. Remove to a plate.
Lower the heat to medium, add the tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the carrot, onion and celery and sauté for 10 minutes.

Add the tomato paste to the pan and sauté for another 3-5 minutes.

Return the meat to the pan. Add the broths and bring it to a boil.

Simmer, covered, 1½ hours.

Add the thyme, barley, and tomato, continue to simmer covered, for 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.

Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add them to the soup, and simmer for 15 minutes more.

Season the soup with salt and pepper.

Note: If making the soup in advance, you may want to adjust the consistency of the soup when re-heating with added water or broth, since the barley has a tendency to absorb the broth.

Black Bean Soup

Black Bean Soup

1 Lb Dry Black Beans
½ Oz Chipotle Peppers
2 Tb Olive Oil
¼ Lb Pancetta, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1 Celery Stalk, diced
1 Onion, diced
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp Cumin
2 Tb Tomato Paste
8 C Chicken Stock
1 or 2 Smoked Pork Hocks or
1 Ham Bone
Black Pepper
8 Oz Anduille Sausage
Sour Cream
Scallion

Prepare the beans for cooking according to package directions.

Soak the chipotles in hot water for 30 minutes then cut them open and remove the pith and seeds then chop them roughly.

In a 7½-8 Qt. saucepan, sauté the pancetta in the oil until the fat is rendered and the lean is golden. Add the diced vegetables and the cumin and sauté.

Add the tomato paste and sauté for an additional three minutes.

Add the stock, hocks, black pepper, beans and chipotle peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 1½ to 2 hours. When a bean can be easily smashed between two fingers, cooking is done.

Remove the hocks. Puree the cooked mixture in a blender to thicken the soup.

Add the sausage and cook until heated through.

Serve with a garnish of sour cream and chopped scallions

Sausage Soup

Sausage Soup

1½ Lb Italian Sausage
4 Tb Olive Oil
2 Onions - minced
2 Carrots - minced
2 Celery Stalks – minced
1½ C Mushrooms – sliced
TT Salt and Pepper
12 C Chicken Broth
28 Oz Canned Tomato
2 C Pasta – Ditali
1 Tb Basil
1 Tb Oregano

Brown the sausage in a 7 to 8 quart pot. Remove to a plate and drain the fat.

Add the oil and bring it to temperature in the pot. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft, seasoning with the salt and pepper.

Cut the sausages into pieces and return them to the pot.

Add the remaining ingredients.

Bring to a boil and simmer until the pasta is cooked.

Thanks Andy, those sound delicious. Copied and pasted.

BTW, why are there two kinds of broth in the beef & barley soup?

New England Boiled Dinner eats like a soup, but will definitely fill your belly.

Ingredients:
1 head green or purple cabbage
2 lbs. corned beef, venison, beef heat, or chuck roast
1 whole onion, coarsely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 potatoes, washed and cut into large cubes
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
3 minced garlic cloves
2 tbs. cooking oil

Heat a large soup pan and add the meat. Brown it on all sides and remove from the pan. While the meat is browning, Cut the cabbage into bite-sized chunks. Wash it.

When the meat is browned on all sides, cut it into bite-sized chunks. Add everything to the pot and cover with water. Bring to a slow boil. Cover and cook for an hour or so. This can be done in a pressure cooker in about twenty-five minutes. Serve with buttered bread.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

All these sounds so yummy. I ran out of recipes and these recipes and the link came just in time. Now I can try them out and after do some experimenting by maybe adding or substituting one ingredient for another. Thanks guys! :)
allez cuisine!!!!

2 Tb Oil

2 Lb Beef Chuck
1 Tb Oil
1 Carrot, diced
Onion, diced
1 Celery rib, diced

TT S&P
1 Tb Tomato Paste
5 C Beef Broth
5 C Chicken Broth

½ tsp Thyme, dry
1 C Barley, rinsed
1 C Canned Tomato
3 Tb
Butter
1 Tb Oil
¾
Lb Mushrooms, quartered

Heat a 7
¼-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Trim the fat and cut the meat into small cubes. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Sear the meat on all sides until well browned. Remove to a plate.
Lower the heat to medium, add the tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the carrot, onion and celery and sauté for 10 minutes.

Add the tomato paste to the pan and sauté for another 3-5 minutes.

Return the meat to the pan. Add the broths and bring it to a boil.

Simmer, covered, 1½ hours.

Add the thyme, barley, and tomato, continue to simmer covered, for 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.

Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add them to the soup, and simmer for 15 minutes more.

Season the soup with salt and pepper.

Note: If making the soup in advance, you may want to adjust the consistency of the soup when re-heating with added water or broth, since the barley has a tendency to absorb the broth.

I love beef and barley soup!

Oh--never thought to do that with pierogies! Since I make my own, this is just another way to eat them! Thanks.

You''re welcome,, CWS. Ladle the pierogies into crocks filled w/ French Onion soup. Top each bowl with a sliced baguette. Sprinkle top with shredded Gruyere cheese. Put under the broiler until cheese is melted. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom