Roast Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Hello everyone

I'm pretty new to this forum and this is my first post.

This goes for 1000 different kinds of soup I'm sure but I make a fair bit of soup and recipes alway give stove top directions and then simmer for every to get tastier.

What I'm going to do tomorrow is make a beef soup. I have a pile of soup bones and stewing beef(1lbs each pack)from the butcher(I like my soup pretty meaty). I'll put that in a big heavy casserole dish with some spice, bbq sauce, onion, carrot,etc and a bit of broth(water) in the bottom to keep everything tender and not burn. This turns out more or less like a roast beef pot roast, delicious. once all the meat and veg are roasted I add more broth and this time I'm planning on barley.

Bake on 300-350 for as long or short as you want it takes no time for that broth to heat up but I like to leave mine a few hours around 300. Then I pull out the bone dice up all the meat and enjoy.

When I do chicken I do a meaty carcass good and cooked by its self then let it stand to cool and get tastier carve, return the meat to the pan with veg,etc.

Does anyone else use the oven or do you stick with the tried and tested stove? Both good but you can taste the difference.

You can also do for creamy vegi soups

Hi Kevin, and welcome! :flowers:

I guess for me, it all depends...if I'm making a soup out of leftovers, I just cut up the leftover meat and veggies as they are, open a can or two of broth, and make the soup. If I'm making a homemade soup on purpose :) I like to roast the beef (or chicken) in the oven first. I agree that it makes a difference in taste to use roasted meat and veggies.

Just a tip about the barley, be careful with how much you add. It soaks up a lot of the broth and expands a great deal - it can turn a wonderful brothy soup into a thick mess in no time. When I add barley to soup I usually simmer it separately until it's almost done, then add it to the soup.

Now I'm craving beef barley soup. :yum:

SOUP, This should be a tread of it's own. Too many ways to make a soup! Real soup takes day's to make. Let's talk about it.

Welcome Kevin. This is a fun forum. And very informative. Lots of laughs, and lots of failures also. But with the failures, we learn from our mistakes. Have fun whenever you come here. You will enjoy us. :angel:

I just re-read the original post, and think I misunderstood. :huh:

I read the title to mean 'roast beef soup'. As far as 'roasting' a soup, broth and all, in a casserole dish in the oven....no, I've never done that and will stick to stove top. :)

I am with you Cheryl. I will roast the bones for the stock. But that is about it. But the rest of my efforts go to making the soup on top of the stove. I love how the house smells when a pot of hearty soup is simmering on the stove. I think that aroma would not be as strong if it were to be in the oven.

My sister used to start her beef stew on top of the stove, then put the pot with the cover in the oven. I have no idea why. :angel:

I am with you Cheryl. I will roast the bones for the stock. But that is about it. But the rest of my efforts go to making the soup on top of the stove. I love how the house smells when a pot of hearty soup is simmering on the stove. I think that aroma would not be as strong if it were to be in the oven.

My sister used to start her beef stew on top of the stove, then put the pot with the cover in the oven. I have no idea why. :angel:

It's pretty common for people to start a braised dish or stew on the stove top and then finish it in the oven. The reason is to prevent the food from scorching or burning because gentle heat surrounds the pot and on the stove top, concentrated heat hits the bottom of the pan.

Hi Kevin, and welcome! :flowers:

I guess for me, it all depends...if I'm making a soup out of leftovers, I just cut up the leftover meat and veggies as they are, open a can or two of broth, and make the soup. If I'm making a homemade soup on purpose :) I like to roast the beef (or chicken) in the oven first. I agree that it makes a difference in taste to use roasted meat and veggies.

Just a tip about the barley, be careful with how much you add. It soaks up a lot of the broth and expands a great deal - it can turn a wonderful brothy soup into a thick mess in no time. When I add barley to soup I usually simmer it separately until it's almost done, then add it to the soup.

Now I'm craving beef barley soup. :yum:

Cheryl
You are absolutley right about the barley, learned that through practice. But I'm still a one pot wonder kinda guy, less dishes, so I add it straight in.

SOUP, This should be a tread of it's own. Too many ways to make a soup! Real soup takes day's to make. Let's talk about it.

What's your best soup that you'd make if you were snowed in for a week with a fully stocked kitchen?

I've started making more creamy vegi soups but my old fashion chunky meat soups would win out every time for me personally.

Naw. If you have left over cooked meat and bones, soup can be on the table in just a few hours.
I can pick up a pack of leg quarters at Costco. They come from the rotisserie chickens they sell. $4.99 also.
I can have chicken soup in two hours using this help from the store. Great soup BTW.
I always brown up or saute my aromatics and never forget the garlic. It really does make the difference in most any soup.

I just re-read the original post, and think I misunderstood. :huh:
I read the title to mean 'roast beef soup'. As far as 'roasting' a soup, broth and all, in a casserole dish in the oven....no, I've never done that and will stick to stove top. :)

It's pretty common for people to start a braised dish or stew on the stove top and then finish it in the oven. The reason is to prevent the food from scorching or burning because gentle heat surrounds the pot and on the stove top, concentrated heat hits the bottom of the pan.

I like to braise a pot roast in the oven as it makes a very nice silky sauce that cannot be imitated on the stove top.
Makes sense for the soup too.
I am making soup this week and will try the oven method. I have a feeling I may start doing it this way regularly.

Naw. If you have left over cooked meat and bones, soup can be on the table in just a few hours.
I can pick up a pack of leg quarters at Costco. They come from the rotisserie chickens they sell. $4.99 also.
I can have chicken soup in two hours using this help from the store. Great soup BTW.
I always brown up or saute my aromatics and never forget the garlic. It really does make the difference in most any soup.

I like to braise a pot roast in the oven as it makes a very nice silky sauce that cannot be imitated on the stove top.
Makes sense for the soup too.
I am making soup this week and will try the oven method. I have a feeling I may start doing it this way regularly.

I just pulled mine out of the oven it's was started around 8 this morning I let it stand and am letting the soup bone cool just to be easier to carve and I don't burn my fingers then it'll go back in this after noon to heat up and simmer until dinner.
I think my heavy pot that I used is about 3 qt and it looks amazing. I cans shred the tender beef with a wooden spoon doesn't even need a knife.

I just pulled mine out of the oven it's was started around 8 this morning I let it stand and am letting the soup bone cool just to be easier to carve and I don't burn my fingers then it'll go back in this after noon to heat up and simmer until dinner.
I think my heavy pot that I used is about 3 qt and it looks amazing. I cans shred the tender beef with a wooden spoon doesn't even need a knife.

Shred the meat and fry it in a little oil or lard and you have a version of Vaca Frita. A squeeze of lime juice or drizzle of Mojo served over white rice with some tostones and heavily buttered Pan Cubano.:yum:

SOUP, This should be a thread of it's own. Too many ways to make a soup! Real soup takes day's to make. Let's talk about it.

Absolutely. Think of all the ethnic soups there are just from the different countries of our members. Winter is here. Time to pull out the cauldron and make soup. Anything better that to come in from shoveling tons of snow out of the driveway and smelling your favorite soup ready for the eating?

I think the three that my kids loved the most was corn, clam chowder and beef stew. I knew I didn't have to call them to the table when I made any of them. They would be sitting in the kitchen waiting. I didn't even have to tell them to set the table. Plenty of bread or crackers out and lots of butter for the bread. The beef stew was even better if I had made bread that day. :angel:

I prefer the soups that just sort of come together, like stone soup! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Today I made a small pot of soup from the frame of a roast chicken, some leftover collard greens, garlic, onion, celery and a couple good shakes of cayenne pepper.

Shred the meat and fry it in a little oil or lard and you have a version of Vaca Frita. A squeeze of lime juice or drizzle of Mojo served over white rice with some tostones and heavily buttered Pan Cubano.:yum:

When i was back home in Miami, there was a dish called "old clothes" in Spanish. Pronounced (rope - a -vey - ha).
It was shredded flank steak that had been braised until very tender. Then they cooked it again in what looked to be tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic and seasonings.
It was served over rice as well.
I liked it on Cuban bread with potato sticks and hot sauce as a sandwich.
I did not realize what i had back then.
Little Havana was a very cool place in those days.

When i was back home in Miami, there was a dish called "old clothes" in Spanish. Pronounced (rope - a -vey - ha).
It was shredded flank steak that had been braised until very tender. Then they cooked it again in what looked to be tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic and seasonings.
It was served over rice as well.
I liked it on Cuban bread with potato sticks and hot sauce as a sandwich.
I did not realize what i had back then.
Little Havana was a very cool place in those days.

Ropa Vieja! Also called "old rags". Love the stuff. There are many great recipes in the cookbook, "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen".:yum:

I prefer the soups that just sort of come together, like stone soup! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Today I made a small pot of soup from the frame of a roast chicken, some leftover collard greens, garlic, onion, celery and a couple good shakes of cayenne pepper.

It was the day before we got our food stamps. Both my next door neighbor and I were broke and had no stamps left. I went to the butcher shop located at the front of the property we lived on and they gave me a leg bone of beef with some meat still left on. They cut it into small pieces. The two of us cleaned out our fridges and combined what ever veggies we could find. We had the best soup that day. Even the kids asked for seconds. The best part is that the bone was free. The name we gave it was "Desperate Soup". :angel:

It was the day before we got our food stamps. Both my next door neighbor and I were broke and had no stamps left. I went to the butcher shop located at the front of the property we lived on and they gave me a leg bone of beef with some meat still left on. They cut it into small pieces. The two of us cleaned out our fridges and combined what ever veggies we could find. We had the best soup that day. Even the kids asked for seconds. The best part is that the bone was free. The name we gave it was "Desperate Soup". :angel:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...a&sigb=140r91afs&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Back
Top Bottom