"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Shark Fin Soup

Anyone have any recipes on this bad boy?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've eaten it but have no recipe. I searched Google and came up with several recipes.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Please don't cook sharks.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Head Chef

Do a little net search on how shark fins are collected. They are cut off of live animals, and the sharks are then tossed back into the sea to die slowly.

Sharks do fill a role in the life of this planet, regardless of their bad press, and they don't deserve to die like that.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Master Chef

What a waste of an awesome creature, it would be one thing if they actually used the whole shark, but to just cut off it's fins and let it bleed out to die is really sad.

Sorry MilKii. I don't have any recipes for you and this is a touchy subject for me. No disrespect to you.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

This is perhaps one of the most environmentally incorrect things you could want to consume. Do some research before you pursue it.

As other posters have stated, the sharks are caught, their fins removed, & then they're dumped back dying/dead into the sea. Just for their friggin fins. WHY OH WHY would you want to add to the demand for this?

Years & years ago sharks were considered trash fish. That ain't the case today, & many are endangered or are close to becoming so because of overfishing & idiotic recipes like this.

And yes - I admit that I do eat shark steak occasionally during the summer months when it's available. But the markets that carry it are utilizing the whole fish, not just the fin, & they're also leaning towards using varieties that are more plentiful at this time. Plus, there are now limits in place (not enough in my book) to help prevent overfishing.

Any sharks fin you might be able to obtain would inevitably come from an overseas market, & their environmental concerns aren't the same as ours.

Please rethink your yearning for Sharks Fin Soup. In my book, it runs along the same lines as Whale Meat Stew or Poached Elephant Trunk - recipes that were all the rage back in the 60's for game afficionados.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

As some of the others have said, I have eaten shark, but then the whole shark was used. I was sickened when I heard how sharks' fins were removed and then they were thrown back into the ocean alive (but not for long), but I was horrified when I saw video of it happening. Cruelty is cruelty, and I don't want to do anything to add to it.

Barbara
Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I understand Shark Fin Soup is a part of an ages-old Chinese tradition, usually reserved for special occasions. I only had it once, at a Chinese wedding, where each course was symbolic of wealth, luck, fertilitity, happiness etc. I think the same is true for a couple of other cultures.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Ain't enough money in the world to get me to eat shark's fin soup. Anyone who treats an animal that way should have their hands and feet removed and thrown into the ocean as well.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I've only had shark fin soup twice as a little kid and loved it. When I was old enough to go on a fishing trip with my uncles, a couple of their friends caught a shark. And after seeing what they did with it, I vowed never to eat shark anything again. It was a horrible experience and I still get a bit sick to my stomach thinking about it all these years later.

Tags
None