"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I made oyster stew yesterday, with 2 quarts of half and half. I ate the last of the oysters for breakfast. Fortunately I was able to save a couple of containers of that wonderful broth in the freezer. Hopefully, at least one will make the base of the next go around, but I wouldn't bet on it. Yummy, good stuff.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That liquor is the natural juices of the oyster and have a lot of flavor. Flavor to be savored.
This I know Addie. I love raw oysters and the brine as we call it here is very important.
When I order them in a restaurant, I always remind them in a joking way not to spill any of the brine when they shuck them.

I just had a dozen last Friday night. They were excellent.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
They are in liquor (or more precisely, oyster juice - not to be confused with booze ).

If you are making the stew recipe at the start of the thread you definitely do not want to toss it out. That's where all the flavor is.

What I usually do is strain the oysters over a bowl, to reserve the liquor. Then I rinse the oysters under cold water and pick through them to remove any bits of shell. Nothing worse than eating creamy soup and biting into a piece of shell.
When pronouncing the juice of seafood, it is pronounced with a French accent. Lickeur with the accent on the second syllable.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #54
Wine Guy

Quote:
When pronouncing the juice of seafood, it is pronounced with a French accent. Lickeur with the accent on the second syllable.
Only in your world, Addie.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
We call it "Licker"
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've always called it liquor. Also for the pot liquor which happens when cooking collard greens. YUM!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oysters, recipe, stew

Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew Having this hearty soup on New Year's Day has been a tradition in our family for a number of years. If you are unable to find bottled clam juice, you can substitute chicken or vegetable stock. [SIZE=3][B]Oyster Stew[/B][/SIZE] [B]Ingredients:[/B] [LIST] [*]2 pints shucked oysters in their liquor [*]8 tbsp butter [*]1/2 cup flour [*]2 shallots, finely chopped [*]4 stalks celery, finely chopped [*]1 clove garlic, minced [*]1/2 cup dry white wine [*]1 8 oz bottle clam juice [*]3 cups half & half [*]2 or 3 good shakes of Tabasco [*]1/2 tsp old bay seasoning [*]1/8 tsp ground nutmeg [*]salt and pepper [/LIST] [B]Preparation:[/B] [LIST=1] [*]Strain the oysters, reserving the liquor. Rinse the oysters under cold water and set aside. [*]Melt the butter in a small dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook the roux for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. [*]Add the shallots, celery, and garlic, and cook for a few minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender. Continue stirring the entire time. [*]Add the white wine, clam juice, and reserved oyster liquor; stir to make a paste. Cook for a couple of minutes to burn off the alcohol. Gradually add the half and half, a cup at a time. Continue stirring and don't let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. [*]Add Tabasco, old bay, and nutmeg. Stir in oysters and cook gently over low heat until the oysters are cooked through and beginning to curl around the edges. [*]Season with salt and pepper to taste. [/LIST] [IMG]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac125/SteveKroll/oyster_stew_zpsa2e28e40.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews