Any Corned beef left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
If you have any corned beef left and love Ruben's then this might be perfect for you:)
In a greased 9x13 buttered casserole layer 8 oz. of buttered needles use about 3 Tab. of butter.2 cups of corned beef chopped and 2 med roma tomatoes sliced . Dot with 1/4 cup thousand island salad dressing. then sprinkle with 2 cups shredded swiss cheese. Top this with 4 rye crisp crackers that have been crumbled and top the crackers with about a 1/2 Tea of caraway seed. Bake covered in a 350 oven for 40 min then uncover and bake 15 min more or til bubbly.
enjoy with a crisp green salad and some cold white wine:)
kadesma

That sounds delish, Kades. It's been forever since I've had Rye Crisps crackers.....my mom just loved them.

I always make corned beef hash out of my leftovers from St. Paddy's day.
My late husband used to say, it was the best reason for cooking a corned beef. ;)

I knew what you meant, just could'nt resist.;) Recipe looks good. But, where is the kraut?;)

Craig

I knew what you meant, just could'nt resist.;) Recipe looks good. But, where is the kraut?;)

Craig
Geez
see what happes first the eyes go then your mind follows it out the door:ROFLMAO:
It should have been with those buttered needles:ROFLMAO: er the buttered noodles
kades

I was going to ask what gage sewing machine, upholstery, crochet or knitting? LOL :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I was going to ask what gage sewing machine, upholstery, crochet or knitting? LOL :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
Don't know see told ya my mind was absent today...:ROFLMAO: it's wonderful to hear from you. How is it going?
kades

Don't know see told ya my mind was absent today...:ROFLMAO: it's wonderful to hear from you. How is it going?
kades
Hey sweetie!! Still tender in the tooth crater but ok there. Now dealing with the begining of the spring allergies. :(

hey, i'll tell you one that made me worry about my mind, big time. i went for hair cut on tuesday. some confusion with the cab co. didn't realize til i got there that i hadn't put my teeth in. bet you can't beat that one. lol i'm saying the cab co. distracted me. sounds good anyway.

I always cook up two pieces; both a flat brisket and a tip. The brisket is good for Reuben sandwiches, the tip goes into what I call Reuben soup. Instead of using plain cabbage in the original dish, I toss in a can of kraut. I chop the leftovers quite finely and turn the leftovers into soup. On a cold day taken with a slice of Swiss on a slab of rye you have a real tummy warming meal.

By the way, to make the broth more easily eaten, I cook the meat first, with lots of extra spices (whole mustard seed, bay leaf, peppercorn, allspice, juniper berries, and a few cloves) in addition to the little packet that comes with the meat. Then I take the meat out, scrape of most of the spices, strain the broth. Refrigerate overnight to de-fat in the morning, then put it all back in with the carrots potatoes, more onions, and cook.

I have an elderly friend with no teeth, so when I make soups she gets first dibs, and this is a favorite.

Back
Top Bottom