I am making this tonight, with our leftover ham. I seen this on a TV show, and it looked awesome. Also, I have never pureed a chowder!!! So this is going to be interesting!!!
Ham and Corn Chowder
3 Tablespoons olive oil or bacon fat
1/2 cup diced onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup smoked ham, sausage or Cajun taso Ham; diced
1/4 cup green bell peppers, diced
1 cup potatoes, peeled and medium diced
3 cups fresh corn kernels
1-2 tablespoons diced chipotle peppers
3 cups chicken stock or water
2 cups cream
Kosher salt and black peppers
1/2 cup jump lump crab meat garnish (optional)
- In an 8 qt. saucepan heat butter and oil and saute onions, celery, garlic, and ham for 5 minutes.
- Add corn, green bell peppers, and chipotle peppers. Stir well.
- Add stock and potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 20-30 minutes -- until potatoes are tender.
- Add cream and simmer another 20 minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in a food processor and puree. (This may make 2 batches)
- Place soup in service bowls and garnish with crab meat, croutons or diced bacon.