"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles
Old 12-30-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Leftover Ham

Could someone t ell me if they have a recipe to use with leftover ham? I did see one with noodles but when I have to find it, I can't. Thanks.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I am making this tonight, with our leftover ham. I seen this on a TV show, and it looked awesome. Also, I have never pureed a chowder!!! So this is going to be interesting!!!

Ham and Corn Chowder

3 Tablespoons olive oil or bacon fat
1/2 cup diced onions
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup smoked ham, sausage or Cajun taso Ham; diced
1/4 cup green bell peppers, diced
1 cup potatoes, peeled and medium diced
3 cups fresh corn kernels
1-2 tablespoons diced chipotle peppers
3 cups chicken stock or water
2 cups cream
Kosher salt and black peppers
1/2 cup jump lump crab meat garnish (optional)
  1. In an 8 qt. saucepan heat butter and oil and saute onions, celery, garlic, and ham for 5 minutes.
  2. Add corn, green bell peppers, and chipotle peppers. Stir well.
  3. Add stock and potatoes and bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 20-30 minutes -- until potatoes are tender.
  5. Add cream and simmer another 20 minutes.
  6. Taste for salt and pepper.
  7. Place mixture in a food processor and puree. (This may make 2 batches)
  8. Place soup in service bowls and garnish with crab meat, croutons or diced bacon.
Serves 8.

Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 AM   #3
Hi, ITK. Erik - that looks like a fantastic recipe - wel'll be trying it soon!

Leftover ham is great in scalloped potatoes or chopped up in tinier pieces and used in a twice-baked potato. Brown it up in a skillet and serve with scrambled eggs.
TexasBlueHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I would grill it with pineapple chunks, or dice it up and make a casserole with potatoes, scallion, cheese of your choice and bechamelle
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Shredded (torn into thin pieces, if possible) and tossed in your favourite bbq sauce and/or some grainy mustard and placed into a hearty roll or between some sour dough or other delicious bread, with oodles of salad greens and perhaps some slices of bell peppers.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Thank you! Due to the amount of servings one gets from this recipe I am going to try it. Thanks for being so prompt as I am going to the store this morning to avoid any New Year's crowd, if that is possible. I love the ham but then salvaging it later is not easy. I appreciate all the suggestions but this is new one and I sure will give try. Thanks to all of you and good luck with your leftovers.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Hospitality Queen
Mom always made ham and lima bean soup. It's got a thinish broth, but it is seasoned with a bit of salt, pepper and cinnamon. There's also a sweetness to the soup from brown sugar. I adore it (major comfort food, when served with a good rye bread slathered with butter), but unfortunately, nobody else in my family likes it, so I stopped making it.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Shame nobody liked the soup. Sound delicious to me. I don't keep recipes the family doesn't care for either. I like them but they don't. Thanks for suggestion but since have limited time I will make this ham and chowder. I just hope it fills them up. Thanks jkath. Good to hear from you. Sounds like things are calming down or are they just being pu t on hold till next year? You got recipe for the soup or do you just 'wing' it?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
Master Chef
Ham salad for sandwiches...grind together ham, hard-boiled eggs, cheddar cheese, add sweet pickle relish, Miracle Whip and mustard. Mix well and eat on your choice of bread, toasted or not, or crackers...
Ham & Beans for New Year's Day...
Ham & split pea soup, with potatoes and carrots...
Ham and peas in your mac & cheese...
and the great catch-all...fritatta.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
Head Chef
Scalloped potatoes and ham
cube ham,peel and slice 6 to 8 med potatoes. 1 onion sliced, put in a roaster that has been sprayed with a oil. 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, one can water, one can milk. Salt and Pepper to taste. 2 tlb flour.Mix well with a wire whip and add to potatoes and ham.Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hr or longer if need be. potatos should be fork tender.

thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote