"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 04-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
Kimbaby, the combination of meat, cheese and corn topped with potatos sounds great! Never thought of adding corn.

A question to you all....do you have such a thing as Cottage Pie in the States? I ask because here in sheep country ( New Zealand) a Shepherds Pie is with lamb and a Cottage Pie with beef. Whats in a name, I know ...but I am interested if any of you do a lamb one.
I honestly never heard of it, but would love to try it...

Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Real Poatoes Would Be Great WIth It As Well, I Just Fix This In A Hurry So I Use Instant, But You Can Tweak It To Your Satisfaction:)

Old 03-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Chef Ramsay

Saw Chef Ramsay's the F word today. On it he made what he called Shepherd's Pie. It included everything that most of your recipes have except for the seasonings and carrots. Also had wine and beef broth but I cannot remember exactly everything t hat he included. Does anyone have idea where I could get his recipe other than buying one of his cookbooks? He always seems to make everything sound as if it is the best. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Found It

Okay, I found it. Just had to do little searching, very little. Now t he recipe is metric measurements. I am lost. I know things are changing but could someone give me idea of how to decipher these measurements? for instance 500g lean lamb? 500g is how many pounds? If I copy the recipe I will doing something that is not permitted. I tried couple of time to submit recipe and they wanted notice where I got it and could not remember. Thanks for understanding.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Okay, I found it. Just had to do little searching, very little. Now t he recipe is metric measurements. I am lost. I know things are changing but could someone give me idea of how to decipher these measurements? for instance 500g lean lamb? 500g is how many pounds? If I copy the recipe I will doing something that is not permitted. I tried couple of time to submit recipe and they wanted notice where I got it and could not remember. Thanks for understanding.

c'mon 'in the kitchen', drag yourself into the 20th century (the 21st might be a step too far ) 500g is probably GR's way of saying a pound, though it won't matter much.

I'm with Lynan, Shepard's pie is very well defined, it's only you Americans that seem h*ll bent on messing everything up. If you put cheese on a shepard's pie, you get Cumberland pie (I live in Cumberland ), and if you want to put beef and corn in your pie, then call it sumit else, and leave our shepard's pie alone!

Note that I'm not criticizing the pie, just what you call it.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
DUH - we should have called it "Cow Herder's Pie"

And the name was coined way more than 15 - 20 years ago. When I was like 5 it was called Shepherd's Pie - oh wait - yea, right, that was only about 15 - 20 years ago - NOT!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:22 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaza View Post
c'mon 'in the kitchen', drag yourself into the 20th century (the 21st might be a step too far ) 500g is probably GR's way of saying a pound, though it won't matter much.

I'm with Lynan, Shepard's pie is very well defined, it's only you Americans that seem h*ll bent on messing everything up. If you put cheese on a shepard's pie, you get Cumberland pie (I live in Cumberland ), and if you want to put beef and corn in your pie, then call it sumit else, and leave our shepard's pie alone!

Note that I'm not criticizing the pie, just what you call it.
snob pie?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Ramsay

What nationality is Ramsay? He has the recipe with parmeasan for grating. Would you consider that adding cheese. This recipe is so involved than the ones posted here. Okay he has 250ml red wine and 300ml chicken stock l kg desiree potatoes, what in the world are desiree potatoes? Haven't clue with the measurements here. Guess I will have to catch up with 21st by checking out threads here with measurements. I am lazy, I do like someone to tell me. Chef uses lot of thyme. All these things have to be bought special don't have them in the house.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

500 g is roughly a pound

250 ml is roughly a cup

300 ml would be about 1 1/4 cups

desiree potatoes are red skinned potatoes.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Chef Ramsay is English I do believe.

Remember first and foremost - Google is your friend! For the potatoes - if you go to Google.com and type in desiree potatoes you will find your answer.

Try this site for converting measurements - just click on what's appropriate. There are other charts too through Google.com.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None