"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
or you could try a stuffing type topping... with cheddar cheese or some type of cheese drizzled on top...
good luck in your search:)

Old 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I always put the mashed potatoes on top for about 20 min. and then put grated sharp cheddar on for the las 10 or 15 till bubbly.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #13
Senior Cook

You can top it with phyllo and call it freighter pie.Very good!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:57 AM   #14
Head Chef

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. I agree that to be called Shepherd's Pie it must be mashed potatoes on top. All of the others look so good, I'm going to try them on various casseroles as I make them.

Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripliancum
You could try bread ... topping the pie with stuffing.
GREAT idea! I'll take stuffing over mashed potatoes any day! I'm going to try this!

Lee
Old 05-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I saw Paula Deen doing an episode on English Pub Food after she and Michael took a trip to London.
She made a fabulous looking shepherd's pie with the mashed potatoes on the bottom, topped with a layer of leftover roast beef and gravy, peas and carrots, and then a layer of bisquit batter over the top. She used baking mix, and made the batter about the thickness of pancake batter, then poured melted butter over the top. I can't remember all the details, but it looked scrumptious.

I looked for the episode, but it's not listed.

PS...I did a search, and here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/...L-PAGE,00.html
Thank you Constance. this looks really good and I'm going to try it next week.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:08 AM   #17
Executive Chef

In the UK, shepherd's pie and cottage pie always have the meat and/or veg underneath and the potatoes on top.

When we were kids, my brother didn't like mashed potatoes (would eat them any other way, just not mashed). My mum would often make a savoury choux pastry 'hat' for the casserole dish - cook it and then plonk it on the top just before serving!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
She made a fabulous looking shepherd's pie with the mashed potatoes on the bottom, topped with a layer of leftover roast beef and gravy, peas and carrots, and then a layer of bisquit batter over the top. She used baking mix, and made the batter about the thickness of pancake batter, then poured melted butter over the top.]
That does sound good, but its not Shepard's Pie!

Shepard's pie the meat must be lamb or mutton, beef in it makes it Cottage Pie. A small difference but an important one!

I have to say, that variatios on a theme are lovely, but "proper" shepard's or cottage pie is a great meal. As a cheat's improvement that I used to use on fussy eaters when I was an au pair I used to put a layer of baked beans between the meat and the mash. The meat I crammed full of hidden veg...finely diced carrot and celery, onion and even finely chopped green beans, whatever I could hide in there I did! One kid really liked it when I melted chedder or emental cheese into the baked bean layer.

My favourite variation is my sister's, a middle eastern interpretation, lighter and more summery. Some raisins and gentle spice (cinnamon, tuneric etc) with the lamb and then instead of potato she mashes chick peas and celeriac togather and sprinkles pine nuts on the top.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Another topping could be an oaty savoury 'crumble' Put on top of the minced beef/lamb/veggie combo - dot with butter and put into the oven.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #20
Cook

I agree that it has to be mashed potato with a cheddar cheese topping. Having said that there is no reason not to try some varieties. I particularly like the sound of bumblebee's cauli puree. Sounds delicios. Other options could be to make herbed dumplings and float them on the top of the meat, or to just sprinkle bread crumbs, herbs and cheese on the top. It is all making me hungery...

Tags
None