"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
The house Buck and l lived in wasn't air-conditioned and here, in Kentucky, the summer temperatures can get to three digits. As an experiment one June, I cooked all our evening meals for that month in the crock-pot. It was a very interesting and educational exercise. I was amazed at the variety that was possible. Initially, I thought everything would take on some sort of sameness.

It was wonderful. Almost like being on a mini-vacation. For 30 days I practically didn't have to cook dinner.

I've also used it to bake cake and quick breads in it. It's one of the most convenient appliances we own.

Not really "one," because we have 4 different sizes and all are used on a regular basis.

I use the largest one to make applesauce when the apples are plentiful here in the fall. Yummy delicious stuff.
please share your applesauce recipe!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #42
Master Chef

Sparrowgrass and Suzy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like food from a crock pot, I was starting to think I was the only one. I agree it all seems to have a "crock pot" flavor, whatever that is. I also just use mine in a potluck situation to keep food warm.
I do however enjoy cooking in my enameled cast iron dutch oven, long and slow on top of the stove, or in the oven. I guess I'm just a hands on sort of cook.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

for those who say that crock pots attain a certain weird, common taste after a while, have you checked closely to see that it's been thoroughly cleaned?

i don 't mean this disrespectfully or as a joke, but the first few times that i've used new crock pots i noticed a sort of film bild up inside the crock that is a little hard to see but can very delicately be felt with your fingertips, especially in the bottom inside corner when cleaning it.

you have to scrub there with great prejudice until the entire inside is perfectly shiny and smooth, like brand new ceramics.

otberwise, i think some may suffer from certain flavours accumulating and actually condensing in tbe crock.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #44
Head Chef

That makes 3 of us that hate the crock pot taste!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #45
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sparrowgrass and Suzy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like food from a crock pot, I was starting to think I was the only one. I agree it all seems to have a "crock pot" flavor, whatever that is. I also just use mine in a potluck situation to keep food warm.
I do however enjoy cooking in my enameled cast iron dutch oven, long and slow on top of the stove, or in the oven. I guess I'm just a hands on sort of cook.
Kayelle, I also love "slow" cooking in enameled cast iron. But we also find that a pressure cooker does a wonderful job with stews and braises and even with some more delicate dishes.

To Buckytom, thanks for the hint about cleaning, but no, that is not something that we have overlooked.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #46
Master Chef

Not the case for me either BT, although it makes sense. I'm a maniac about no residue whatsoever on cooking pots. Just ask my "soap stingy" husband who normally cleans them for me, and I do them over again (the right way).

Old 03-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky77 View Post
please share your applesauce recipe!
No problem. Here it is:

KATIE’S PINK CROCKPOT APPLESAUCE
(Serves 8)
8 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into fourths
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup tiny red cinnamon candies
¾ cup apple cider
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt

In a 3½-quart or larger crockpot, mix all ingredients.

Cover and cook on HIGH for about 1½ to 2 hours or until the apples are just beginning to get tender. Remove lid and stir with a wooden spoon to break up larger chunks. Serve warm or chilled. Note: This applesauce can be frozen in airtight containers for up to three months.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Not the case for me either BT, although it makes sense. I'm a maniac about no residue whatsoever on cooking pots. Just ask my "soap stingy" husband who normally cleans them for me, and I do them over again (the right way).
I'm a maniac about that too. Baking soda is my friend.

Hubby, as well as the dishwasher seldom do a good enough job for my taste.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm a maniac about that too. Baking soda is my friend.

Hubby, as well as the dishwasher seldom do a good enough job for my taste.
I hear you loud and clear, TL. Is your husband also of the mind that lids need little, if any attention??

Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #50
Cupcake

I love my crock-pot but only for certain things: Stuffed Cabbage, Beef Stew, Sauerkraut and sausage....flavors that are supposed to infuse through each other. I can program mine to click to low, so I do not have to worry about everything cooking down to mush.

Tags
None