"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Hello all. I'd like to introduce myself.

I happened upon this site just a minute ago and I feel like I may have stumbled upon a gold mine!

My name is Amy. I am a 38 year old female from Alabama. I am not a professional cook, but I do love to cook. I love learning new things about cooking! Getting new tips and tricks are like gifts to me! I won't mention how much I love kitchen gadgets and dishes and anything that makes cooking easier, more original and more fun. I'll leave it at my dream is to have professional type kitchen! LOL

I haven't posted ANYTHING about myself yet, so I'll briefly describe me as a person for an idea of who I am. I'm married-19 years in June. I have one 17 year old son who is my very heart. He is a senior in high school and I am a senior in college! I (hopefully) will graduate in May with my RN. Other than my family-nursing is my heart's most fervent passion! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. I'm not a passionate political person, but politics are important to me-I just don't see myself ever being a picketer (sp?) on behalf of political candidates. I love to laugh. I enjoy silliness and goofiness and having fun. I enjoy living peacefully with others and making strong friendships warms my heart. I am honest to a fault, while still trying to be considerate of another person's feelings. BUT, I do suffer from foot-in-mouth syndrome quite often. The last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt or offend someone, so if I become afflicted with foot-in-mouth-syndrome, please feel free to kindly ask for clarification and I will kindly and willingly explain/clarify. I guess that's enough for now!

I look forward to moving on from here and getting to know a few fellow cooks as time goes by!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Welcome Amy! It's very nice to meet you. I, too, have one son. He is 29. It seems you and I were about the same age when we married and had our sons. I was 19 when I got married, and turned 22 five days after my son was born. There something about the bond between a mother and son.
Congratulations on soon becoming an RN. It must be a very rewarding career. My sister always thought of becoming a nurse, but got side tracked along the way. She finally became an LPN at age 40. She works for hospice. It can at times be very draining for her, but she loves what she does.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Head Chef

Another Southern cook - welcome Amy!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome Amy,
not to worry about foot in mouth, if when you go to post you look to your right and see all the little smiley faces use those to help get across your idea. If we remember that others can't see us we learn to be very careful of what we say and how we say it. If in doubt leave it out and just enjoy the forum, get to know each of us..You will find the most loving kind people on the net right here on DC..Enjoy Amy
kadesma
Old 01-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thank you everyone! What kind replies. You make a great point about the foot in mouth Kadesma, it can be difficult not seeing expressions and hearing inflections. I am smiley user for sure! I too believe it helps to relay the message as intended.

Retoucher, I appreciate you taking the time to share as you did. That was so thoughtful of you! Yes, nursing is hard, but it is so fulfilling. I can't see myself doing anything else now that I am finally doing it-to a degree anyway. I truly believe that hospice is a calling. You can't do that kind of job without a heart full of compassion for people.

I did marry young, and have a baby young as well. I turned 21 two months after he was born. But, it was an advantage really. I was able to raise my child the way we wanted to, and STILL be young enough to go back and pursue a career after he got old enough for me to be comfortable leaving him to his own devices- to an extent. He still needs me, just not as dependently as he did very early on. We have a wonderful bond. He and his dad have a good relationship as well, but ours is so much richer. Hopefully, in time, they will grow to be as close as we are. I think time a maturity draws fathers and sons together-where nature and nurture probably draw the mother and son together in infancy. Most times anyway. Those are my ideas...parent child relationships are very interesting how the evolve and grow with time.

Again, thanks everyone! I think I will really enjoy it here.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Master Chef

Welcome to DC!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Cook

Welcome

I'm also new and you have found a gold mine - the people here all have hearts of gold!!!

Stacy
NY,NY

Well behaved women rarely make history!

or
GuaranteedGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Head Chef

Welcome to DC. Amy.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef

[/B][/COLOR]AmyC.