"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Cook

Hey all!

Hey there! My name is April, but have somehow established "Carrie" as my online alias. Either is fine to call me (but I kindof like Carrie ^^) I'm from the midwest United States and I cook for me and my husband.

I have been cooking for nearly a decade now, but have had to do a complete diet overhaul, well twice actually, but the first time was when I really just started cooking. This second time though, has changed only for me and not my spouse really and it has become very difficult to adjust. I have to cut sugar, gluten and dairy, and we already cut most meat products and all alcohol based foods (including vinegars,except white and or rice kind, so salad dressings are sad right now). Hmm, these have been doctor recommended changes and have helped significantly, except for the mental anguish, but a cheat here and there is ok by me...just has to be quickly followed up by something good. Gluten is probably the biggest concern, followed lesser by milk and cheese (oh how I loved cheese!), and sugar...well, that is really concerning too and I have to compromise that with many gluten free and or dairy options. Ugh!

But I have come a long way, and I'd like to continue to improve and find outside of the box ideas to keep me motivated.

Happy to be here and ready to start exploring! :)

Old 12-17-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Carrie
Welcome to DC

Josie

Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi mc.
Was Carrie taken as a username before?
Does mcrx stand for something (besides the national anthem and when a judge walks in)...
Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hello Carrie, Welcome. We will try to be as helpful as possible. Maybe let us know what you fix for your husband and we can help you decide what to leave out for yourself and stay in the boundaries of your difficult diet.

I understand the difficulties, I'm on a Diabetic/Cardiac diet...almost impossible to satisfy both diets.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Hello and welcome to DC. Give us some more clues, and we can probably come up with some ideas of how to keep meals interesting and tasty.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

If I'm not mistaken, all vinegars except balsamic are made by a chemical process that turns alcohol into acetic acid ... There's very little alcohol remaining in the vinegar itself, though.

Citrus juices like lemon, lime and orange can be used to make salad dressings.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!
Old 12-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Cook

Oh wow! what a welcome! thanks! I will try to respond to everything, but in a bit of a rush at the moment. Basically, it's primarily an Indian diet. Well we eat meats (chicken, mutton, sometimes beef) and fish is good (need more fish recipes and shrimp). That being said, I would (WE should) be adding more vegetables to our diet, and hubby's on board, so...

There are several recipes without yogurt, but many of his faves do have yogurt. I've yet to try the coconut yogurt alternative cooked in (as I side, it's ok).

I know that's a pretty specific diet...(oh, but rice rice rice!!) So since rice is a main ingredient, we also like other similar Asian food as well as Mexican food. The key is, it "has to have flavor". haha But, I can always "spice up" otherwise less than flavorful dishes. I've honestly gotten used to the spices, but I have enjoyed a variety of different cuisines throughout my life.

Um...ok, so the vinegars thing. Yes, this is a controversial topic actually. Some say it's alcohol because it comes from alcohol or there are still small traces. It's annoying, but we have just tried to avoid. If there ARE any substitutes, because I know many cooking recipes call for this (like to...i forget what it does) but I just cut it out and add more water/herbs/and spices. because I just don't know.

...ok, I'll have to get back to whatever I've missed next time. but thanks again! :)
Old 12-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I think we have a number of Indian and Thai curry recipes, as well as fish and shrimp, in the specific ingredient and ethnic food forums. And when made right, those foods have lots of flavor.

You can make your own Thai curry pastes, or buy them, then mix with coconut milk, a protein and vegetables, simmer till done and serve over rice.

Many recipes call for some type of vinegar because the acidity brightens up flavors. You can get the same effect with citrus juices.

Check out the forums when you have more time