Newbie from Missouri

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindercat

Sous Chef
Hi! I can't sleep so I thought I'd be productive and introduce myself so I can stop lurking around the discussions.
I'm a special education teacher currently assigned to a high school LifeSkills class. I try to teach them basic daily living skills such as cooking simple recipes, cleaning, social skills, etc. I like coming here to search for ideas for class and for myself. The problem is that I can get side tracked reading some interesting & funny conversations and spend more time than I planned. You guys are as addicting as video games so I don't visit unless I have time to spend or I need information. Oh, and can you tell that I like to talk?

Welcome to DC, cindercat! You know from lurking that this is not just a forum for food enthusiasts, but also a bunch of people who care about one another. What kind of recipes are most successful when sharing them with your students?

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
I am sure that you already know that this is a special place on the 'Net.
I have a great deal of admiration for teachers in general and Special Education teachers in particular. It must be highly challenging and satisfying work!

Thanks everyone! I do enjoy working with my "special" kids. I've only worked with kids this low functioning for 2 years. I've always had more mainstream students with learning disabilities. I have to learn some new methods this year since 2 students have very little communication ability. I'll have to break cooking tasks into minute steps to find something my lower students can do.
Last year we cooked or I demonstrated over 40 recipes. Their favorites were pancakes, cheeseburgers, rice krispy treats, pudding (mix), mashed potatoes & mac-n-cheese. There were some things they didn't like, but with very few exceptions, the class rule is "You must taste it. You don't have to like it and you don't have to eat more than the little taste if you don't want to. You can have more if you want it." I cooked some things that I doubt they would get at home. They liked acorn squash with apples & cinnamon but didn't like zucchini. Chicken & rice was OK but one boy wouldn't eat chicken salad because we made it from a whole store bought rotisserie chicken. Whenever we made anything chocolate I had to have something vanilla for one student who had a lifelong dislike for chocolate. Haven't figured out what to make this year since I'll have a wide range of abilities. I'll have to figure it out as I get to know my 4 new students.

Welcome to DC Cindercat! What area of Missouri are you from? I lived in Kansas City and Independence for a short time when I was 8-10, and I have family in Boonville and that area.

Cindercat,
There is a special place reserved for folks, like you, who give so much of their time, mind, and love to children who, through no fault of their own, would likely never be exposed to so many things that we take for granted everyday.
Thank you!

Thanks Hoot. I get a lot out of working with these kids. All kids have issues of some kind, but these guys are rarely intentionally mean to each other and are usually happy to be at school. I wish other kids could learn these qualities from them.

Barbara, I live about 35 miles south of St. Louis in rural DeSoto. I attended school K-12 at Dunklin R5 & then taught there 28 years. This year my class is moving to a neighboring district, Crystal City.

Back
Top Bottom