Newbie with a sauerkraut problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earthling850

Assistant Cook
I’m new to the forum and fairly new to making my own sauerkraut. I’ve had successful batches, but I’m not sure if my last batch is safe to eat! I have three-quarters filled my jars and covered the cabbage with enough brine to keep it submerged. I also used weights, in the form of water-filled small ziplock bags. I now find there’s been a slight overflow of liquid from the jars, and when I open them and lift out the bags, the brine has become viscous and gloopy. Is this normal or is something sinister going on that might make it inedible?

I have no idea, but there's a saying for home canners, fermenters, charceutiers (is that a word?). If in doubt, throw it out.

I've made small batch kraut, 2-3 pounds, in mason jars many times and have never had liquid get viscous and gloppy. In fact, just started a batch this morning to use up the rest of a huge head of Napa cabbage used for 2 other meals. I personally would throw it out.

Ive been making it for the past few years. Occasionally you get a slight white film on top of the liquid ( which I scoop out). Occasionally the liquid clouds a bit. Ive never had it turn viscous or gloopy on me. Usually the culprits for me is either some of the cabbage wasn't submerged ( which yours was). Also, during the summer months, where the kitchen can sometimes get a little warmer, could do my sauerkraut in. The other factor would be the salt to liquid ration, but if you made it successfully before with the same recipe, not sure that would be a factor at all.

Back
Top Bottom