Chili Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually use a tomato sauce and tomatoes. I really like tomato! :)

A lot of recipes I have reviewed in the past use a "dumping" system, adding spices in two different steps. Also as Andy mentioned, masa for thickening seems to be the best way to go with chili.

I use a combination of cubanelles, poblanos and jalapenos for fresh peppers. Chipotle in adobo, chili powder, ancho powder, smoked paprika for dried/ground peppers.

Onion, garlic, cumin, Mexican oregano, salt and pepper are my seasonings.

I use canned tomato sauce at the ratio of 8 ounces per 2 pounds of meat.

I thicken with masa at the end.

Are cubanelles similar to Anaheims? I haven't seen them around here.

Also as Andy mentioned, masa for thickening seems to be the best way to go with chili.

Actually that was me who mentioned using masa as a thickener (reply #5), although I'll grant that Andy mentioned it more recently. :)

I got the idea from Carroll Shelby, retired automotive designer and racing driver, and of chili spice packet fame from his packaged chili mix. The mix would be a good place to start for chili beginners.

Last edited:
Thanks, Merlot! I'm still writing down all the ideas as they come up and making tick marks for each time they are mentioned.

Actually that was me that mentioned using masa as a thickener (reply #5), although I'll grant that Andy mentioned it more recently. :)

Bah, I am getting old, my short term memory is shot! :LOL:

And... I also add beer! Pretty sure that was mentioned too. :ermm:

Bah, I am getting old, my short term memory is shot! :LOL:

Well it was two days ago. :) I guess I felt slighted because all of my ideas have been poo-poo'd except this one that was credited to Andy. :glare:

And... I also add beer! Pretty sure that was mentioned too. :ermm:

I always say "a dinner without wine is like a day without sunshine." Although beer qualifies too.

I personally prefer canned tomatoes unless I can get tomatoes that are actually ripe. Most of the time I find store bought fresh tomatoes to be rather bland.

The hubby and I make several different chilis (well, actually, he makes his and I make his and a couple others). Some of our favorite ingredients (besides tomatoes) include celery (preferably with the leaves), onion, green onion, garlic cloves, green pepper, Anaheim chilis, serranos, jalepeños, pablanos, cherry peppers, hungarian yellow peppers, habeñeros, light and dark red kidney beans, cilantro, corriander, cumin, chili powder/ground dried chilis, allspice, lime juice and apple cidar vinegar.

We frequently use a mix of chilis. We find it adds depth to the flavor We always add the onion, garlic, corriander, cumin, chili powder and allspice. We usually add the celery and either green pepper or pablanos. When I use the lime juice I add it to the meat while it's cooking and don't use the cider vinegar. When I use the cider vinegar I add it toward the end of the cooking process and don't use the lime. We try to keep the beef and chilis the main flavor, the spices an aromatic, well blended second, and anything else there as accents.

Interesting thread. I'll add my two pennorth for what its worth.

My kids love chillie. I use a basic mix of beef mince, tinned tomatoes, red kidney beans which come canned in a dark chillie sauce, red onions, beef stock, sometimes some red wine, mixed herbs, but most importantly, chillies. I use the hot thin birds eye or sometimes scotch bonnet, plus some powdered hot chillie and a sprinkling of dried chillie. Its hot but not too hot, its spicy.

I cook it on the stove first to mix all the ingredients and bring it up to heat then I leave it in a slow low oven for at least 2-3 hours. This makes the meat really nice and soft and gives a "lightness" to it all. The flavours mingle well. Its even nicer the next day.

I made the mistake once of using Naga chillies, lordy, never again. Burnt on re-entry.

Looks like ingredients have been well covered. You might want to consider simplicity. Make a chili powder with 2-3 ground chilis (a little cascabell, ancho and California), paprika, ground cumin. You choose the combination, but I would caution the use of more than one hottie in the mix. A simple sofrito of onion, garlic and 1 type of fresh green chili. Personally, I would not use tomato as it adds too much acid that will have to be balanced with something. Mexican oregano for sure and more cumin, freshly ground. Sneak in a little chipotle in adobo:rolleyes:. S&P and as previously mentioned, masa as the thickener. For liquid, beef stock or water. Just my idea how to approach it considering the folks being served.

Last edited:
P. Fiona,

Back in Madrid since 16.00 hrs.

Great idea ... organize in writing ... relax ... write up all the ingredients from each post in a new note book and then take a look at different recipes and play about ... Perhaps do a Rehearsal practice and ask Shrek which is his fave !!

I believe you have an excellent chance of winning or coming in at 2nd at worst !

Kindest.
Margi.

Here's an idea that I'm gonna have to try. I love chili and enter contests every year. I've one only once, and never with my red chili. I think I've figured out why though.

Anyways, here's the idea. Are you familiar with Carne Asada? If not, it would be a great starter recipe for DC chili.

Ingredients.
3 lb. flank steak
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 large, yellow onion
3 tbs. fresh lime juice
3 tbs. fresh cilantro.
Salt & pepper
2 fresh Fresh Jalapeno. diced

Grill the flank steak over hot charcoal until medium rare. While the meat is grilling, dice the other ingredients, and chop the cilantro.

When the meat is done, remove to a good cutting board and dice it into cubes. Start the veggies cooking in a little beef fat until tender-crisp. Add the meat, salt and pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. Stir over medium heat for three minutes.

This filling is usually served with guacamole and put into burritos and tacos. But the flavor profile would be a great starter for the chile, with the smokey meat, and lime playing off of the lime and cilantro. Add cumin, chili powder, and a touch of coriander.

So that's my offering to start the chili. Others can play around with this idea and add to it as seems right.

Other ingredients that would work well, canned, ripe tomatoes, canned crushed tomatoes, Different kinds of hot peppers for added depth, a little cocoa powder, a pinch of baking soda to take out some of the acidity that can mask the other flavors, celery, pinto beans, dark-red kidney beans, Masa harina, or crushed, fresh, corn tortillas.

I'm sure that you will get more ingredients.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I would agree that no matter the rest of the varied ingredients, the use of MASA as a thickener can make all the difference for a winner of a recipe. I had to buy a 5 lb bag several years ago, just to make chili and I now have a lifetime supply as I have no intention of making anything else with it. :LOL:

Don't forget the Masa. ;)

Back
Top Bottom