Is Chili A Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
I've had some really poor chili at competitions. Soupy, overloaded with tomato and flat.

Me too. I had one chili that a co-worker made that was VERY sweet. That was how his family liked it though. Another I had had crunchy beans, not good at all. After numerous chili competitions I have found that is is best to take a small amount of any chili at first! That way if it's terrible you won't have to stand in front of the cooker of said chili and force it down. Of course you could just say it is too spicy and discard it. I love me some chili!

rickell said:
Love It, All Types. Try White Chili It Is Very Good
Go To The Foodnetwork Website There Is A Recipe
Called White Chili Surprise, It Does Take Time But Man
It Is Good. I Do Prefer Red Chili But The White Chili
Surprise Recipe Is Very Good. Sometimes I Will Make Both
Just Becuase I Want A Bowl Of Each. Chili Also Freezes
Well.

Can't Wait Until It Gets Cold Out
Interesting recipe. Not something I'd ever make (can't touch tequilla and I'm sure eliminating it would completely alter the recipe) but interesting. It does beg the question what is the definition of chili, because that doesn't fall into the chili catagory for me. Chicken isn't chili anymore than turkey is bacon. But I know that's probably just me.

To me, chili is about peppers and meat. Some chilis have too much tomato and/or liquid for my tastes. I think chili should be red, thick, loaded with meat, peppers and seasonings. I like heat in my chili but not to the point of discomfort. When I started making chili at home, I put beans in it to stretch it out. I've gotten used to it that way, even though I know chili purists disdain beans in their chili.

I agree with adding the beans to make the chili go further. If I'm making my annual batch or doing it for a pot luck, I add the beans. If I'm doing it for a special occasion I keep them out.

For my chili, I like ground beef, steak, beans, tomatos, tomato sauce, garlic, and spices. I add my spices to the ground beef so that they fully dissolve, and I think it gives the chili a better taste. The recipe is still a work in progress, as most are. And it's chili, not soup.

sounds more like a muligatawny (sp) if you thin it down with a stock.

BTW, does anyone else here add a little >70% coco chocolate to their chili?

"Chili from Wendy's isn't my FAVORITE chili, but I eat it probably more often than I make my own. My chili is very good, but probably wouldn't measure up to a cook off, but then I'm not making it for a cook off. Just because we make something at home doesn't mean it isn't good. Also, I like Olive Garden foods, most of them and eating in a fancy restaurant isn't what I'm about. If someone gets their kicks from that, fine, but not everyone has the time, the money or even cares about that. I've eaten in some fancy restaurants where the fancy food isn't that great. I suppose it has to do with that "cultivated" taste. Most of us live in the real world where even if we go to a fancy restaurant, it is a now and then thing, not our life. I like good food, but a meal doesn't always have to be an event. Sometimes it is only to satisfy hunger."

Ill address this first.... I can't picture someone still claiming fast food as one of their favorites yet hanging out at a cooking site. You dont have to go to Olive Garden( lol ) to get good food. You can make italian dishes better than olive garden at home with ingredients that aren't expensive at all. This is a cooking website, use it, lol

For another, if you have to put BEANS in your chile to get enough flavor, you're doing something wrong. there is an extraordinary amount of flavor in fresh herbs, cumin, fresh and dried chilies, and meat to make a wonderful dish fit for anyone. Dumping a can beans in a true pot of chile is enough to make the baby jesus cry.

As for someone who said chili powders are worthless, ummmmm..... i beg to differ...i could send you some pecan smoked manzano chile powder or some pecan smoked paper lantern or red habanero powder and you would be asking me for seconds in no time at all. Powdered chile worthless? Maybe the stuff in the plastic container at a grocery store.

It can be soup or not. It's just "chili" to me.
BUT there is a difference in "chile powder" and "chili powder" (apologies to anyone else who has posted about this. I haven't read the whole thread).
The pepper is a "chile" and the powder from the various dried ones are "chile powder". NewMexico chile powder is probably the most used and can be hot or mild. "Chili" powder is a blend of chile powder and other spices.
The most distinctive actual taste of chili for me (the one that really makes it "CHILI") is the cumin. Then add the chile powders and other spices.

Mylegsbig said:
For another, if you have to put BEANS in your chile to get enough flavor, you're doing something wrong. there is an extraordinary amount of flavor in fresh herbs, cumin, fresh and dried chilies, and meat to make a wonderful dish fit for anyone. Dumping a can beans in a true pot of chile is enough to make the baby jesus cry.

I like beans in my chili, but I suppose I need to try it your way at least once. Please send the recipe!

vagriller said:
I like beans in my chili, but I suppose I need to try it your way at least once. Please send the recipe!
I have a great recipe that doesn't include beans. Like I said, I just add them because I want the chili to go further.

I have read this thread with real interest, and much humilty. I have always put beans in my chili and its one of my favourite winter meals. Its one of those things I also find useful at the end of a pay month....I thik you get a lot of taste and bulk and nutrition for th money that goes into it. I have never had fast food chili.

I second vagrillers call for Mylegsbig's recipe. I don't feel know that I would recognise a "real" chili recipe. I hope this debate goes on to answer that for me!

lulu said:
I second vagrillers call for Mylegsbig's recipe. I don't feel know that I would recognise a "real" chili recipe. I hope this debate goes on to answer that for me!

Yes, I was looking forward to making my standard chili, but I might have to try the Big Leg version first. Then I can post back to this thread about it.

Folks, please don't go feeling inferior or something because your chili has beans in it!!!! There are as many different types of chili as there are spaghetti sauces. They are all great!!

There are regional differences; the original 'chili' started in Northern Mexico, I think in the Pueblo region, where it was a meat 'tinga' or stew. It then crossed the border into Texas, and from there took off; and I'm sure that some enterprising camp cook on a cattle drive saw he was low on meat, and added some beans to make the chili for his cowboys go further - viola! - a new type of chili was born!

Beans or no beans, they're all good - just different!

marmalady said:
Folks, please don't go feeling inferior or something because your chili has beans in it!!!! There are as many different types of chili as there are spaghetti sauces. They are all great!!

Believe me, I don't feel inferior! If you like beans (and I do) then chili with beans IS chili and IS good. I just want to try the non bean version and give my opinion. I bet if you took a poll the majority of folks would say chili has beans.

Marm:

Feel inferior!? Me? You've got to be kidding!

Mylegsbig said:
...For another, if you have to put BEANS in your chile to get enough flavor, you're doing something wrong...

As I said in my post, I add beans to stretch the chili to make more meals out of it, not to enhance the flavor.

Lets also not forget that flavor is not the only thing to consider when making a meal.

I enjoy beans in my chili. I love the texture it provides. I also love chili without bean too. They are just very different ways of making the same dish.

Andy and VAgriller - Of COURSE I didn't mean you guys, lol! People just get so confused when something they've done all the time is suddenly 'wrong'.

And I really think that in light of today's headlines; 1 year anniversary of Katrina; another storm barreling down on us; war in the mid-East - whether or not to 'bean' your chili seems rather ridiculous, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

marmalady said:
Andy and VAgriller - Of COURSE I didn't mean you guys, lol! People just get so confused when something they've done all the time is suddenly 'wrong'.

And I really think that in light of today's headlines; 1 year anniversary of Katrina; another storm barreling down on us; war in the mid-East - whether or not to 'bean' your chili seems rather ridiculous, doesn't it? :rolleyes:
After so many years on the net I can't count, I have found that the ridiculous arguments of beans or no beans and the like are the distractions we need when things get really bad.

My chilli has beans in it, and I'm proud of them!
It's also blisteringly hot, which doesn't endear it to a lot of people, but then sometimes you just have to please yourself.
Once every six months, at least!!:LOL: :cool: :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom