Pumpkin Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I made this a couple of days ago, after looking through many chili recipes that had pumpkin in them. (Don't worry, you cannot taste the pumpkin, yet it adds just the right thickness and pumpkin is good for you too!)

jkath's Pumpkin Chili

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 white onion, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained
1 29 oz. can tomato sauce
1 14½ oz. can peeled & diced tomatoes in juice
3 ripe tomatoes, put into chopper (a little bigger than romas)
1 29 oz. can pumpkin puree
3 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. white sugar
½-1 tsp. FRESHLY GRATED nutmeg**
(if you'd like to add tabasco/tapatillo, that would be good too)

In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef till done; drain.
In a small saucepan, sautee onion & 1 bell pepper in olive oil.
Add second bell, stir in (don't cook) and add items to beef.
Stir in beans, tomato sauce, all tomatoes & pumpkin.
Stir in chili powder, sugar, & nutmeg.
Simmer till done (you could go anywhere from 20 min to an hour or more)
Top with shredded cheddar & serve with freshly baked cornbread.

**there is such a tremendous difference between the ground nutmeg you get from the store and the whole nutmeg you grate. Don't use the ground!!! It's too sweet and has no heat at all. If you don't have whole, go get some and use your finest grater on it. really!!

I've seen a number of italian style recipes where the pumpkin replaces the tomato. Sometimes they add some of the crossover spices between sweet an savory such as cinnamon and nutmeg. Sometimes they don't. It really is a much more versatile vegetable than commonly perceived.

There was a restaurant here called the Baba Afghan that served a pumpkin dish that was very different. The pumpkin was sliced an cooked in such a way that it was very soft yet yeld it's shape, sort of like a jelly. Seasoning eluded me, but it was good and very different than you'd expect of pumpkin.

thymeless

Wow jkath that sounds pretty good !
Think I'm going to have to make some.
We're having the perfect weather for it too.

Keep in mind it's a really mellow flavor - it was perfect for my mil who doesn't care for heat in her food.

dh has finally perfected his chili recipe, and man is it good! However, I won't post it till after our chili cookoff in a couple of weeks. (We've got some sneaky friends!)

I have never seen that in a chili recipe. I have to try that. My son and I love pumkin soup and pasta. Thank you for the idea.

jkath - I love a pumpkin chili - here's a recipe I posted 3 years ago. Man, 3 years ago!!

The pumpkin gives a certain silkiness/smoothness/body to the dish. You can't taste it but at the same time you can and it's wonderful!

I have never heard of pumpkin in chilli either but i think it kind of goes along the line of say cinnamin or chocolate (which is kind of a good match with pumpkin) which most people at first would think is gross but it actually turns out quite good. I will have to try this sometime.

Back
Top Bottom