"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 09-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #31
Senior Cook

My brother and I love cream cheese with olives in it. We just eyeball how many olives we put in the cheese with enough of the olive juice to thin out the cheese a little. It makes a great sandwich. My mother makes it for my father but thins it out more and he uses it as a chip dip when plopped down in front of the TV to watch his football games.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #32
Master Chef

My mom used to make me Cream Cheese & Olive sandwiches too, & I loved them. Those inexpensive jars of "salad olives", which are just slightly damaged pimiento-stuffed green olives, are perfect for this.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #33
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
My mom used to make me Cream Cheese & Olive sandwiches too, & I loved them. Those inexpensive jars of "salad olives", which are just slightly damaged pimiento-stuffed green olives, are perfect for this.
Yum, sounds good. Bet that'd be good as a wrap.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I decided to experiment with cream cheese once, but I couldn't keep it lit!

Anyway, I never inhaled.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I've tried cream cheese in cheese cake, with chocolate, fruit and topped raspberry/chipotle sauce on crackers, mixed with herbs and spices as a cheese ball with crackers and even bake it in flan (cream cheese flan with evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla)...lots of possibilities.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Adding on to the list...cream cheese in Chocolate Royale Cheesecake Squares, Bacon Appetizer Crescents, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, Sweet Potato Crisp, Cheesy Harvest Vegetables, Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake, Carrot Ginger Cupcakes with Spiced Cream Cheese frosting, Autumn Pear Cake, Apple Pecan Cheesecake, Spicy Pumpkin Cake with Chocolate Chunks.....got carried away with recipes. Just got my Food & Family cookbook in the mail. I'd be glad to post any recipes you'd like.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #37
Executive Chef

One of my favorite nibbles is cream cheese and smoked salmon on a bagel or stuffed in cucumber slices - as a salmon/cream cheese mousse with some fresh dill and a bay shrimp to top each slice off.

A lovely party appy, is a cream cheese, pesto and sun-dried tomato (or roasted red pepper) torta (made in layers), topped with walnuts or toasted pine nuts. You can make the torta in a large decorative mold or bowl, or in individual ramekins. Nice presentation for a party.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I watched a lady at a privately owned donut-type shop one morning make their cream cheese turnovers. It was a WHOLE BLOCK of cream cheese encased in puff pastry - servings 1!!!

I like to mix some cream cheese, coat cheese, and cooked sausages. The sausages can be any kind really. The last ones I made were a combination of 3 different ones. I stuffed the small jalapeno-shaped sweet peppers (red, orange and yellow) then I put them in my panini maker for a few minutes until the pepper was somewhat cooked (at least had some nice grill marks) and the cheese was melted a little. I served them atop a salad.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Don't forget the pumpkin roll people. Mmmmmmmmmm
Old 09-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #40
Executive Chef

TNT taco cheese dip

This recipe was developed for fresh goat cheese, so I imagine you could use cottage cheese, and cream cheese would be devine.

1 pound soft cheese
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. hot chili powder
1 T. dried minced onion
3/4 cup tomato juice, or one large tomato

Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.

I make this the day before use because it stiffens up overnight and the consistency may need adjusted the day of use.

Tags
None