Help with Cheddar Potato Bake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

regga

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I have tried to make this dish at least 6 times but the sauce separates. Could someone please help me.:angel:

CHEDDAR POTATO BAKE :

1 kg Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese )
1 level tspn mixed herbs )
1 level tblspn chopped parsley ) combined
1/4 level tspn freshly ground black pepper)
1 x 300ml carton cream
1 level tblspn chopped parsley
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1. Put half potatoes into a greased 1.5 litre ovenproof dish.
2. Sprinkle with combined ingredients.
3. Cover with remaining potatoes, drizzle with cream. Sprinkle with parsley and cheese.
4. Bake in a moderate oven 375F 1-1 1/4 hours or till potatoes are tender.

I have tried different potatoes, different cheese, shorter cooking time, lower oven temperature but nothing helps. So please HELP.:wacko:

Thankyou
regga.

I wish I could help you Regga but I cannot think of a reason the sauce should seperate unless you are not using heavy cream. Cream and cheddar should blend well. Cheddar does not like to melt and blend into a homogenous sauce. Perhaps mixing some flour with the cheese would help. I think that I would try making small dishes using a few differing methods to see if you solve the problem. Let us know the results.

Here's a recipe for cheddar potatoes that always works well for me and is very popular with guests.

Cheddar Potatoes
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 medium potatoes (raw), peeled and thinly sliced

In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and add the cheese, salt, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Place 1/2 of the sliced potatoes in a greased 2 quart casserole. Top with 1/2 the sauce. Layer remaining potatoes on top of sauce and spread the rest of the sauce on top. Cover and bake in a 350ºF preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Yield: 4-5 servings. (You may add any herbs or spices you like to the sauce.)

Last edited:
The difference is the flour. It is used to make a roux with the butter. The roux stabilizes the melted cheese and keeps it from separating.

Back
Top Bottom