I need some ideas on some appetizers to serve at my upcoming wedding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a couple of things to remember Southern cookin' mom.....being the bride, you will be extremely busy, so whatever you serve should be able to be prepared ahead and held or you will need some good Helpers on the big day. I catered my own #2 wedding 25 years ago and I remember slicing cabbage for coleslaw about 15 minutes before leaving the house for the church! So you must consider how much time you really have. I catered the appetizers for my daughter's wedding in order to save the food budget. I did cold shrimp with seafood sauce, crudités platters and Hawaiian meatballs. This was just to tide people over while photos were being taken, it was a 4pm wedding with a sit down dinner at 6pm. Three items with a basil lemonade seemed to be lots, and the prep wasn't too detailed. Probably helped that the hosted bar was open. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Just a couple of things to remember Southern cookin' mom.....being the bride, you will be extremely busy, so whatever you serve should be able to be prepared ahead and held or you will need some good Helpers on the big day.
Precisely, and I would argue that she actually needs to do both. My sister didn't have much to do with the food prep for her wedding that we catered because she was living in Birmingham, AL and we were 2.5 hrs north in Huntsville. So while we may not have had the bride's busy problem...

In addition to prepping all the food, my mom sewed my sister's wedding dress AND both bridesmaid dresses (I was maid of honor). We made all the decorations for the church and the reception, and plenty of other little doo-dads and odds 'n ends.

So we planned a combination of foods that could be prepared up to 2 weeks in advance (the ones suitable to be frozen) then cleaned out our deep freezer to make space for those items. We still had to enlist fridge space from neighbors and there were extra helpers who came in for the last 4 days before we transported everything 2.5 hrs South. Oh we also catered the rehearsal dinner...but that was more for convenience so we could use the church's function hall to stay after the rehearsal and finish all but the very last minute prep. Hehehe...

A few more out-of-town friends and relatives stepped in and helped with the final prep the night before and morning of.

Something pretty interesting and with some spices... Cold chicken. Can be chicken breast or from the leg (off bone) cooked. Sauces can be for eg: a bit of pickled chilibean paste (sambal oelek), some pinches of sugar, a bit of light soysauce, some sesame oil and if you like it spicy... Some ground roasted szechuan pepper over it. Sprinkle with some sliced scallions. There are many different sauces you can prepare ways ahead (can write more if needed)...

Just seemed like the place to post this. I went to a wedding that didn't have the traditional wedding cake. Instead they had a trifle bar. Everyone went through the line and made their own creation (choosing from white cake bites, chocolate cake bites, pudding, rasberry sauce, strawberry sauce, chocolate sauce, chocolate chips, fresh fruit, etc.). Instead of having the cutting of the cake, the bride and groom had a giant trifle and they did "FIRST BITE!" It was really cute. I had never seen anything like it. :)

One more story. At my son's wedding, the cake was staring to do a very scarry lean at the beginning of the reception. My sister noticed, and the buzz started going around the room. It was announced that we were at a "dessert first wedding" and the fun began. Since then (8 years ago), my son and daughter-in-law have been able to tell and retell how Aunt Pam saved the wedding cake by changing the reception. :LOL:

My wedding will be this summer and we will be serving in the afternoon. Thanks!!!

Okay, will the reception be indoors or out, and what kind of refrigeration will you have for storage? also who is doing the serving?

There are so many factors that go into planning and serving a successful wedding reception. It takes MUCH more than just good food.

I can't say exactly how appropriate it might be for a wedding, but I remember a very simple appetizer from when I was a kid. Any time my parents would throw a party at the home, they'd always have these little bacon-wrapped water chestnuts on a toothpick. Personally, I found them delicious, and they always remind me of festivities.

As I said--I'm not positive if they're a safe bet to use at an event like this, but if you choose to use them, they're wonderful.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,194,146179-227205,00.html

Okay, will the reception be indoors or out, and what kind of refrigeration will you have for storage? also who is doing the serving?

There are so many factors that go into planning and serving a successful wedding reception. It takes MUCH more than just good food.

I so agree, June

The serving and keeping the buffet table attractive for the entire reception is crucial. Family members can't be counted on, because they will be tied up visiting with the guests. If you can possibly hire responsible young people who are NOT on the guest list to be in charge of these things it will be money well spent. That's what we did for my son's wedding.

I agree helpers are imperative. I hired a responsible teen to help at my wedding (it was smallish, maybe 60 or so). She made sure food was replenished on the buffet table, served coffee and tea and helped with cleanup. As I mentioned earlier the dinner at my daughters wedding was professionally catered but I catered the appetizers. One of my co-workers offered to come to the reception and look after the self serve appetizer tables, she kept everything replenished And looking nice. Her help was essential! In my last post on this thread I mentioned that I served only three appetizers, I forgot all about the chicken puffs, they were a big hit. I think I made about 300 of them. They are little puffs stuffed with chicken salad like a mini cream puff. Easy to make (puffs can be made ahead and frozen). But you need some help filling them. My sisters-in-law helped me do this the morning of the wedding then we refrigerated until reception time. I have the recipe if anyone wants it. Sorry for the ling post......sometimes I get carried away!
:). :)

I forgot all about the chicken puffs, they were a big hit. I think I made about 300 of them. They are little puffs stuffed with chicken salad like a mini cream puff. Easy to make (puffs can be made ahead and frozen). But you need some help filling them. My sisters-in-law helped me do this the morning of the wedding then we refrigerated until reception time. I have the recipe if anyone wants it.

I for one, would love to have that recipe, bunny!! They sound both delicious and really different. If you post the recipe in the proper recipe category here at DC, it won't get lost.;) Thanks in advance.

Kayelle said:
I for one, would love to have that recipe, bunny!! They sound both delicious and really different. If you post the recipe in the proper recipe category here at DC, it won't get lost.;) Thanks in advance.

Will do soon Kayelle!

I have visited a number of wedding, I have catered for quite a few, I did a retro wedding for a friend 6 yrs ago, the buffet meal featured the wonderfull world of Vol au Vents, the money Vent was Eggs Benyloxyvent, a poached quails egg sitting on smoked salmon masked with hollandaise.

You are getting a lot of really great, constructive ideas.

I would caution not to try to do too many different appys, but to do TONS of the ones you choose.

An attractive presentation (basket or otherwise) of crudite with three simple (but varied) dips is always a hit as a stationary hd. It's also a good idea to have a bunch of stationary, cold hds that folks can come help themselves to. If you are having hot hds, passing them is the best way to get them out fresh. How about enlisting the high school class of your local Sunday School to help with that?

Keep those hot apps simple and easy and hopefully mostly do-ahead/heat on site (like Spinach Balls with Mustard Sauce and Ham Balls with pineapple salsa)

FWIW, I don't recommend serving shrimp unless you have an unlimited budget. that can get almost as costly as an open bar. Plus, we all know those three or four folks who will stand at the shrimp platter and stuff themselves until there are no more for anyone else... Save the shrimp for a different occasion. :LOL:

If you'd like the recipes, just ask.

You are getting a lot of really great, constructive ideas.

I would caution not to try to do too many different appys, but to do TONS of the ones you choose.

An attractive presentation (basket or otherwise) of crudite with three simple (but varied) dips is always a hit as a stationary hd. It's also a good idea to have a bunch of stationary, cold hds that folks can come help themselves to. If you are having hot hds, passing them is the best way to get them out fresh. How about enlisting the high school class of your local Sunday School to help with that?

Keep those hot apps simple and easy and hopefully mostly do-ahead/heat on site (like Spinach Balls with Mustard Sauce and Ham Balls with pineapple salsa)

FWIW, I don't recommend serving shrimp unless you have an unlimited budget. that can get almost as costly as an open bar. Plus, we all know those three or four folks who will stand at the shrimp platter and stuff themselves until there are no more for anyone else... Save the shrimp for a different occasion. :LOL:

If you'd like the recipes, just ask.

Good ideas, ChefJune, but what is "hd"?

I am currently planning my wedding. I am trying to lay out the menu. I need some idea for appetizers or finger foods to serve. Thanks so much for the help!!!
Sounds like you're looking for simply elegant. It's all about presentation. My advice would be to keep the "h.d's" simple. Maybe 3-4 hot & 3-4 cold options. Cold: Tier fresh fruits & veggies with a flowing effect maybe add a small chocolate fountain. Tortilla pinwheels are clean & attractice to dress up with frill picks, for the fresh veggies maybe a nice sundried tomato, fresh vegetable dip, Cherry stuffed tomatoes with ham, chicken or egg salad are light & easy, marinated mediteranean kabobs can make a nice presentation, (displayed standing) from a head of cabbage decorated with greens, deviled eggs are always a . hit. Maybe some assorted dips to be used again later for after the festivities.
Hot: Bacon wrapped water chestnuts, easy to prepare ahead of time, Homemade mini cocktail meatballs, Warm spinach artichoke dip with toasted pita's or mini quiches.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom