I'm on a Hummus kick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was asked to post this recipe after I had pm'ed it to sattie.

Fava Bean Spread
Based on a recipe by Caprial Pence

Ingredients:
1/2 c. Dried fava beans
Zest & juice of 1 lemon
2 Cloves garlic, chopped
1/3 c. Extra virgin olive oil
1 tbl. Chopped fresh basil
Salt
Fresh ground black pepper

Instructions:
Dump the fava beans in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Cook over medium heat, simmering until tender. Watch them as you may need to add additional water. Cook until tender. Or as Sattie suggested use canned fava beans and then, I added, drain well and rinse in a colander.

Using a food processor, process the beans, lemon, oil and garlic until smooth. Process the basil to mix and then, add salt and pepper.

This fava spread can be refrigerated for up to seven days. Enjoy!

Girl, I even looked for some fava beans this evening while I was grocery shopping, Walmart is not very good at carrying 'exotic' stuff! It is definately on my list to try! Thanks for posting PS!

Another sbstitute for Tahini - Cashew Nuts.

Put Cashew into ood processor and pulse until you have a paste. Use instead of Tahini. Or - of course - kulikuli !

kulikuli (peanut cake, after oil has been pressed from it)

Interesting substitute. Have one family member with a sesame seed allergy so haven't had any really tasty hummus. I have made it without the tahini but it loses something for sure.

Oooh shame shame...."Ask Aida" on foodnetwork just suggested on her show that you try a new kind of Hummus by using fava beans instead of chick peas.......someone needs to tell the "professional" that it is no longer Hummus then!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I just read in the newspaper a recipe for edamame (those green soybeans) hummus--made the same way, garlic, lemon, olive oil, tahini and cumin). I laughed when it was called hummus. I guess, even though the word means chickpea--the English language usage is eventually going to change its meaning to be a bean spread regardless of what bean is used.

This is how the English language works and even how grammar has changed over time.

:mad:I still need to find fava beans!!!! Keep the ideas commin tho... I love all the possibilities!!! :chef:

We can call the fava bean one FUMMUS!

Sattie, I have made my own hummus for years. I remember we had a greek dinner at the camp I cooked for and I ended up making like 5 batches because we kept running out. I usually like it to sit to meld the flavours but they were serving it as fast as I could make it.

I have one recipe that calls for toasted sesame seeds instead of tahini or I usually make my own, similar to your recipe. We weren't allowed to bring commercial tahini into the camp because it is made in a factory where they also produce nut butters. I did make it with black beans once but usually use chick peas/garbanzos.

I am glad you brought up this thread. I think I will make some today!

Man... I just eat the stuff at will and usually can finish off a batch in the same day!!! I gotta go make me some!!

Sattie, thank you so much for this thread. I was thinking of ideas for appetizers for a tree trimming party at my son's house. I used to go to this Persian restaurant that made the best hummus. It tasted so good with warm flat bread.

You have given me an idea that I will most certainly put to use. I know my grandkids have never eaten hummus, but they love bread. I'll make a small batch with some nice warm flat bread, and see how they take to it.

Thank you so much for starting this one. It is right on time!!

Awesome link my dear!!! I'm gonna try that next time I make a batch. Mine has never been that dark, so I'm curious how it will taste in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom