"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Oyster Appetizer

Small oysters on top of cocktail sauce (homemade with my hot sauce) topped with spicy V-8 and lime zest.

__________________

__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Instructions/please?? Yummy food porn!
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,104
Oh so purty, S&P!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Savannahsmoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 244
A lovely setting for oysters.
Please the recipe for your sauce.
__________________
Savannahsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
beautiful
__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
I generally prefer the texture of fried oysters; However, I might be motivated to harvest a few oysters from my front 'lawn' if you shared the recipe for the depicted oysters.
Perhaps you could also recommend a tartar sauce for fried seafood.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I generally prefer the texture of fried oysters; However, I might be motivated to harvest a few oysters from my front 'lawn' if you shared the recipe for the depicted oysters.
Perhaps you could also recommend a tartar sauce for fried seafood.
Hey Bill,
There is nothing special about the recipe, just a basic cocktail sauce made with ketchup ,lemon or lime juice, horseradish, some cracked black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and the hot sauce of your choice. I don't measure anything, I just mix it to my taste. The hot sauce is made with habenaro peppers which I make at home; ( please, don't ask for the hot sauce recipe ) as it is something I wish to keep to myself. Sorry.
Drop a tsp of cocktail sauce under a small oyster in serving glass, oyster shell, whatever you choose, add a dash of oyster liquor, V-8 spicy veg juice and garnish with lemon or lime zest. If you wish to add liquor I recommend pepper vodka. Everything should be ice cold, the colder the better.
There are so many variations to this, so just experiment till you find one that is to your liking.
As I'm not a fan of tarter sauce, I can't help you there, sorry again.
The day I made these, since I can't eat just one or two. Some were made using Japanese ingredients, a few with Bud-Lite chalada. Anyway, you get the idea.
I'm hoping soon to get more involved in molecular gastronomy and come up with new ideas, lets see what happens.
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Hey Bill,
There is nothing special about the recipe, just a basic cocktail sauce made with ketchup ,lemon or lime juice, horseradish, some cracked black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and the hot sauce of your choice. I don't measure anything, I just mix it to my taste. The hot sauce is made with habenaro peppers which I make at home; ( please, don't ask for the hot sauce recipe ) as it is something I wish to keep to myself. Sorry.
Drop a tsp of cocktail sauce under a small oyster in serving glass, oyster shell, whatever you choose, add a dash of oyster liquor, V-8 spicy veg juice and garnish with lemon or lime zest. If you wish to add liquor I recommend pepper vodka. Everything should be ice cold, the colder the better.
There are so many variations to this, so just experiment till you find one that is to your liking.
As I'm not a fan of tarter sauce, I can't help you there, sorry again.
The day I made these, since I can't eat just one or two. Some were made using Japanese ingredients, a few with Bud-Lite chalada. Anyway, you get the idea.
I'm hoping soon to get more involved in molecular gastronomy and come up with new ideas, lets see what happens.
Thanks for the response. With respect to Habaneros, no problem; I learned the hard way that I'm not crazy about their flavor by soaking them in some vodka.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Small oysters on top of cocktail sauce (homemade with my hot sauce) topped with spicy V-8 and lime zest.
Gorgeous!

I love raw oysters and would eat them in a second, but prefer a situation where I can actually taste the oyster.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Gorgeous!

I love raw oysters and would eat them in a second, but prefer a situation where I can actually taste the oyster.
Trust me, you can taste the oyster.
__________________

__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.