"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss J
I really want to eat some raddishes. I haven't had them your years..my grandfather used to grow them...I think I am going to have to grow some of my own now.
I've always loved radishes, and would raid my grandmothers garden as a kid. MY dad always grew them, but somehow I didn't find time raising 4 kids, now with this gift of some wonderful radishes, I plan to plant several different ones and see what happens. They really were a wonderful treat.

kadesma

Old 07-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I planted them for the first time this year but with our drought, my garden isn't doing too well, except for the tomatos....geez, I bet I have 150 on the 'tree' right now.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I made them a long time ago like Robo said sliced and sauteed in butter with salt it was really good.Think of them as tiny hot turnips.
I wonder what a radish puree would be like as a kind of condiment for pork or something.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Here are a couple of pictures of my rads - one is the remainder of a bumper crop and the other is a picture of roasted rads, onions, and garlic. The latter was a nice surprise - the radishes were sweet, tender and very tasty when roasted with the aromatic vegs!
I've never tasted roasted radishes. Just turned on the oven despite the heat. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Thanks for the post!

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I made them a long time ago like Robo said sliced and sauteed in butter with salt it was really good.Think of them as tiny hot turnips.
I wonder what a radish puree would be like as a kind of condiment for pork or something.
I'm sure they would be good with just about anything except maybe chocolate ice cream I'm sll for trying them with pork or beef..Might be unique.

kadesma
Old 07-31-2006, 12:04 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Thank you everyone, sauteeing a radish wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years. Love the idea of the puree too, that especially wouldn't have occurred to me. Bet it works well. Love them.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:29 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen
Thank you everyone, sauteeing a radish wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years. Love the idea of the puree too, that especially wouldn't have occurred to me. Bet it works well. Love them.
Hi Ellen,
isn't it nice getting new idea's for old favorites? That is one of the things that I love about this forum and the freinds who give and share here. I'm glad to see that you've found us. Hope to talk again soon.

kadesma
Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #18
Master Chef

Has anyone here used radish leaves in salads or soup?

I have a French Bistro cookbook that has a soup recipe that uses only the radish leaves. I'm thinking that if I grow some radishes in the garden this fall, I might try it, but was wondering if anyone else has used the leaves.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Has anyone here used radish leaves in salads or soup?

I have a French Bistro cookbook that has a soup recipe that uses only the radish leaves. I'm thinking that if I grow some radishes in the garden this fall, I might try it, but was wondering if anyone else has used the leaves.
I've never tried it Breezy, but, my grandma used greens from just about anything she grew in her soups, I'd give it a try if it were me. Could be something that you'll love. If so, please post a ecipe and I'll try it as well.

kadesma
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #20
Sous Chef

My husband loves radishes in his salad, I'm going to try some sauteed for him. Thanks for shaing the recipes.

Tags
None