"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Sous Chef

She stole my recipe!

(kidding) It wasn't even mine to begin with!

The fam send me tapes now and then and Paula Deen prepared these crab/cheese/english muffin appetizers in an episode from, probably, last year. I learned this recipe 15 years ago from an American woman living in Moscow!!! I was living there too, of course... and of course I could not get the ingredients when I lived there (her husband worked at the embassy, so she had access to an American grocery store) . But I tried it when I moved back to the US, and they were great! I'd never seen it anywhere else in these past 15 years!! It's very tasty, but it does use processed cheese. I'm going to look up the link to the recipe and post it here. Just don't shoot me for posting a recipe with processed ingredients!!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Okay, here is my recipe, as given to me by a lovely lady named Sandi in the bitter cold of Moscow, 1992... this is from memory.

6 english muffins, split
6 Tbs. butter, softened to room temperature
1 can (6 oz., 170g) crab meat, flaked
1 jar (3 oz?) Kraft processed Old English Spread (probably any processed cheese spread would work
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbs. mayonnaise
salt to taste

Combine last 6 ingredients. Spread on 12 english muffin halves. Put in freezer to solidify the cheese topping. Take out of freezer, cut into quarters. At this point, you can just pop them into a freezer-safe bag and keep in freezer. To bake, preheat oven to 375 F or 190 C. Bake until bubbly.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Here's a link to Paula's:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29780,00.html

There are some recipes that just 'go around', and pretty soon the origin is lost! Here's another similar one I posted a while ago:

Crab and Pimento cheese sandwich
Old 06-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I didn't realize it was so popular! Canned crab and this Old English Spread must be readily available in the US. Thanks for the link to your recipe!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I got that recipe from a cousin in So. Maryland about 10 yrs ago and she said it came from a cheese whiz (or that type of cheese) container years ago. She used french bread rather than Eng. muffin.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #6
Sous Chef

That is so interesting!! I guess my "novel" recipe, has seen all sorts of versions over the years.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Head Chef

Whenever I see a recipe that calls for a specific name brand, I always suspect it came from that company's kitchen, you know one of those 'name brand' recipes.

So went to the Kraft website and found:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=51826

That sounds very similar.

So maybe the recipe arose with the Kraft people, or maybe they just came up with a variation on a recipe they found somewhere and modified to help sell their Old English Spread.

In any event sounds tasty, thanks.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Whenever I see a recipe that calls for a specific name brand, I always suspect it came from that company's kitchen, you know one of those 'name brand' recipes.

So went to the Kraft website and found:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...ecipe_id=51826

That sounds very similar.

So maybe the recipe arose with the Kraft people, or maybe they just came up with a variation on a recipe they found somewhere and modified to help sell their Old English Spread.

In any event sounds tasty, thanks.
Yep, that's it! So, that's REALLY where Paula Deen stole it!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

Don't feel bad. I posted my recipe for Killer Baked Beans on Campbell's Kitchen Table, and a few months later I was looking through one of their summer cooking recipe folders, and there was my exact recipe, word for word. Of course anything you post there becomes their property, but they credited it to the "Campbell's Kitchen" instead of putting my name on it.
When I protested, the site manager removed my posts. I finally wrote an email to the Campbell Food Company, and they apologized, then changed the credits and put my name on it.

So there! The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
Master Chef

Here's my recipe...still there in summer parties. Check it out!

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recip...astindex=false

Tags
None