"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Head Chef

Spicy black chickpeas

well this is a fabulous dish,ideal for potlucks,but equally good as a light summertime salad.this can be made with regular white chickpeas,its just i prefer black chickpeas,they r richer,creamier and yummier in taste.

i soaked 2 cups of chickpeas over night,boiled and drained them the next day,let them cool a little bit.put in one cup of tamarind juice,juice of 3 large lemons,2 large diced tomatoes,3 large boiled and diced potatoes,2 medium diced onions(that i tossed for half a minute in a non stick skillet without any oil,on high flame,to loose the bitterness and smell of raw onion,but they should still be crunchy),2,3 chopped green chilis,half a teaspoon of toasted cumin seeds,salt and pepper to taste.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Head Chef

That sounds delicious. I love chickpeas and anything with them. Here is the silly question, what is tamarind juice? And where would I find it? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Head Chef

its not a silly question elaine as tamarind maybe unknown to most americans,as its not usually used in american cooking.its a common ingredient of pakistani cooking.its very sour in taste,and mostly available in dried form in pakistani or indian stores.just soak some of it in hot water,and when the water cools down a little bit,mash it thoroughly with fingers or fork,and then strain the juice and use it anyway u like.it makes very yummy sour and sweet tamarind sauce that can be put in many foods.if u dont find it easily,then u can just do with lemon juice and a little bit of white vinegar.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Where does one find black chickpeas. I've only ever seen white.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try black chickpeas. This blog post explains them nicely: Food, In The Main...: Kala chana (black chickpeas)
I guess you'll have better luck finding them if you look for Kala Chana. Too bad they're not really black.. that would make some snazzy hummus!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Where does one find black chickpeas. I've only ever seen white.
they should be available in pakistani or indian stores or in the ethnic sections of other stores.And like i said,if u still cant find them,you can always use the regular white chickpeas!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
they should be available in pakistani or indian stores or in the ethnic sections of other stores.And like i said,if u still cant find them,you can always use the regular white chickpeas!
I'm lucky after 4 years here we finally have a mexican specialty store. I could check Harris Teeter or maybe Trader Joes but we definitely don't have anything as fancy as an Indian store. I wish, but it won't happen.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Cook

That sounds wonderful! I've just read somewhere that researchers have found a new antioxidant in chickpeas with cancer fighting properties!

Savory Tv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None