"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #61
Master Chef
For me it's fresh or fried Vietnames spring rolls (rice wraps) and dipping sauce--- there are many good Vietnamese restaurants in Houston so they're easy to find in many places. I also make them at home and when served to guests I get great raves. Why does a bowl of cereal sound so unappealing now--I knew better than to look at this thread before breakfast.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #62
Head Chef
I luvvvvvvv appies. So hard to choose just one. I have a gazillion recipes, but always looking for a new twist. One I want to make at home is figs stuffed with bleu cheese, wrapped with proscuitto and drizzled with honey.

*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #63
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Tapas in any good Spanish restaurant/bodega
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #64
Executive Chef
German meatballs at The Hofbrauhaus (closed now, trying to contact the Chef for the recipe)
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #65
Assistant Cook
I love stuffed mushrooms. Here's a recipe I use, but I'd love to collect some more good ones.

Stuffed Mushrooms
1 pound mushrooms
2-3 Tablespoons melted butter
8 Tablespoons soft butter
2 cloves of minced garlic
6 Tablespoons of shredded Jack cheese
4 Tablespoons of Zinfandel
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2/3 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs

1. Remove stems from mushrooms.
2. Brush mushrooms with melted butter.
3. Mix together the soft butter, garlic, and cheese.
4. Add wine, soy sauce, and cracker crumbs and blend to make a paste.
5. Fill mushrooms with this mixture.
6. Set in a baking pan and broil for about 3 minutes until hot and bubbly.

This will serve 6 to 8.
cheers2wine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #66
Master Chef
The most impressive, and definitely on of the tastiest I've had was made by a hostess at a training seminar I'd attended. She made this gelatine mold that contained crab meat and stood as a tall mound. The gelatine was sea-food flavored as well, as if good clam juice had been lightly sweetened and had unflavored gelatin added to it. It was served with good crackers and cream cheese. I wish I could have it again so that I could duplicate it. The memory is 25 years old and I just remember how impressed I was with it. My memory could be a tad off about it though.

Oh, and anything Phillipino that comes with tropical fruit is wonderful as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:06 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
Nothing beats pan-fried foie gras with a sweet and sour demiglace sauce. Full stop.
You forgot the glass of Sauternes!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:14 AM   #68
Senior Cook
Roasted asparagus wrapped in thinly sliced smoked tuna drizzled with a olive oil,balsamic vinegar,garlic dressing.
TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire
I can't pick just one, so here are my top three:

- the first appetizer I remember being enchanted with was grilled bacon-wrapped scallops at a reception for a new, high-end housing development being developed by a former employer

- saganaki from any good Greek restaurant - breaded kasseri cheese (semi-hard white cheese), fried in olive oil, flamed with brandy at the table, then drizzled with lemon juice. I grew up near Detroit, which has a large Greektown, and there, when they light the saganaki, everyone in the restaurant shouts "Opa!" Here in SE VA, they don't know to do that. The first time we ordered saganaki here, we were the only ones who shouted it out

- cold Thai steamed spring rolls with rice paper wrapping and dipping sauce
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #70
Assistant Cook
Can't really pick a "best"....I love appetizers so much. Calamari is a favorite, and the one I choose most often when eating out. I also love those jalapena pepper poppers. And one that hasn't been mentioned are those huge bloomin onion things at the Outback Restaurants. Love that with the dipping sauce. I guess you can tell I like fried foods.

blueroses47 is offline   Reply With Quote