"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 03:46 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
The East Coast has its problems, for sure. But so does the West Coast, and not just California! Vegas is getting to be very expensive as well. Itís been my dream, and it will probably go unfulfilled, is to live in NYC, preferably in a space thatís mostly open with a beautiful kitchen and large terrace. Hahahahaha! I do love NYC, though. Broadway, the museums, the availability of, well, pretty much anything you want, and Central Park to boot! Subways (any kind of public transport, for that matter) mean I donít have to drive. And New Yorkers are great, contrary to popular belief. Theyíre just a bit gruffer, a bit more in a hurry to get Ö somewhere. No need to buy into it, but itís essential you recognize it for what it is.

Sorry, back to lobsters. And Iím usually content with large shrimp, frozenís fine, Ďcause thatís all Iíll ever get here. So no, if I do move east, it wonít be for the lobster.
If it has a shell on it, I will eat it. Shrimp, lobster, clams, scallops,quahogs, etc. Seven days a week, and I would be living in heaven.

According to Pirate, NYC has changed for the better over the years. He just hops on the train, and leaves Boston for just a day or two. His idea of a quick vacation. He has friends that live right in downtown NYC.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:10 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Enjoy Addie - I'm lobster green with envy. We have less than a month of specials on lobster and crab - which is why I pig out on them when available.

At the moment they've gone back to their "normal" price of $15.99 a pound.
That's interesting. I wouldn't think it would be much more difficult to ship lobster by truck to Montreal. Lobsters are shipped up and down the Maine coast. All of the mussels I've seen locally are PEI rope grown mussels, usually $2 - $3 / lb., so I wouldn't think shipping costs would be all that great, but mussels are a lot easier to ship than lobster. PEI is further away than Montreal. For those that don't know, lobsters decompose rapidly once they die, so they must be kept alive during shipping.

A couple of points: The $4.99 /lb. lobsters are the barely legal sized lobsters, usually just over a pound. The price goes up for the larger ones. This past weekend I bought halves (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lb.) which the local pound was selling for $7 /lb. The reports I've seen stated that 20% of Maine's lobster catch goes to China. It's not clear what effect the Chinese tariffs will have on the demand from China, as it's a luxury food. For the moment, the wholesale price of lobster has remained steady, but we're in tourist season, which is the period of the heaviest demand.

The lowest price I can recall was $2.99 /lb., but that was about 25 years ago. Local prices typically drop for soft shell lobster, as they are much more difficult to ship, but they also have less meat than hard shell lobster. Winter prices for lobster are $8 - $10 /lb. (to the best that I can recall), but I don't buy them during the winter.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
BTW, I don't know how far back Addie had to go to come up with 89 cent/pound lobsters, but that price hasn't been around for the nearly two decades we've lived here.
That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
... I wouldn't think it would be much more difficult to ship lobster by truck to Montreal. ....
All of the mussels I've seen locally are PEI rope grown mussels, usually $2 - $3 / lb., so I wouldn't think shipping costs would be all that great, but mussels are a lot easier to ship than lobster.

and Yes, Mussels are about the same price here...

A couple of points: The $4.99 /lb. lobsters are the barely legal sized lobsters, usually just over a pound. The price goes up for the larger ones. This past weekend I bought halves (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lb.)*** which the local pound was selling for $7 /lb.

The lowest price I can recall was $2.99 /lb., but that was about 25 years ago.
*** here, those are the ones priced at $15 to $17 per lb. 2 lb and up start at $18. during the tourist season (in St. Andrew, NB) the price may only be $1 or 2 lower... go figure.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What we save on lobsters we make up for in spades with car insurance...and house taxes...and car repairs - and don't even get me started on the cost of housing.
The city of Boston's property taxes are insanely low.... plus we have cheap lobster!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Boston would not have been a good living location for us when we moved here, jenny, based on Himself's work location and hours. Besides, neither of us are "city mice". We live about 60 miles from Boston. You are right about an affordable tax rate, though. Our house out in the sticks has an annual $4000 tax bill, whereas the same value house in Boston is taxed at about $2550. Our tax per $1000 ($11.73) isn't that much more than Boston's ($10.48). We built where we are because we found out the closer you are to Boston, the more the dwelling cost. With what we sold our large and fancy OH home for, south central Worcester County was as far as we could stretch the budget and still sleep at night. And taxes in OH are even more ridiculously low - our previous house, 700+ square feet larger and with lots of upscale features, is currently being taxed at under $3500. a year.

Besides, we like scallops or shrimp better.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

The $4.99 /lb. lobsters are the barely legal sized lobsters,

And for that reason alone, I make sure they weigh and measure them right in front of me. I also will not purchase females that are covered with roe. Other than buying them right off the boat, I always try to buy from a reputable sell that is licensed to buy and sell them.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Remember, I was married to a commercial fisherman. When they haul back their nets and open the bottom of them on the aft deck, there is every creature in them. Including lobsters, shrimp, clams, quahogs, etc. All that gets tossed right back into the sea. If any of the crew members wanted to bring home a lobster, they all made sure they were legal. Three legal size male lobsters usually was enough to feed my family of six. And I always made sure the lobster was mixed in with another dish like a nice salad.

Also if there were other type of fish on the limited catch list, they could only keep so many pounds of that fish. When Haddock was placed on that list, I was heart broken. Lobster and Haddock, my very two favorite foods from the sea. Not so with lobster now, and most of our Haddock is from Iceland. The market fluctuates constantly. In spite of my five year off and on absence from this area, I still have managed to keep in touch with a few of the men or now their children who took over their family boats. Every so often one of them will call me and give me a nice big Haddock. Unfortunately for their family, they get sick of eating it and crave red meat. I would have the Haddock any day and so would Pirate.

I do follow the market on seafood rather closely.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No Cheese. This week lobsters are only $4.99 lb. I will be buying one for my lobster sandwich on a toasted hot dog roll.
Crumbs! Lucky you - lobster at about £3.50 a lb! I've just had to pick my jaw up off the ground. Lobsters are serious up-market food and priced as such over here.

Hope you're feeling better and the leg is behaving itself.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Crumbs! Lucky you - lobster at about £3.50 a lb! I've just had to pick my jaw up off the ground. Lobsters are serious up-market food and priced as such over here.

Hope you're feeling better and the leg is behaving itself.
Thank you for the good wishes. Yes, the leg is healing very nicely. Everyday the nurse comes and changes all my dressings. I took myself off the heavy duty opioids. So now I am on a very mild one. Tramadol. But actually though, the gabapentin is working so much better than any other medication for pain has worked. But they do make me very sleepy.

Thank you for commentating and asking. Now about those lobsters. Pirate found a store for lobsters for $3.99 a pound. That means I can get two of them instead of one. YUM!!!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you for the good wishes. Yes, the leg is healing very nicely. Everyday the nurse comes and changes all my dressings. I took myself off the heavy duty opioids. So now I am on a very mild one. Tramadol. But actually though, the gabapentin is working so much better than any other medication for pain has worked. But they do make me very sleepy.

Thank you for commentating and asking. Now about those lobsters. Pirate found a store for lobsters for $3.99 a pound. That means I can get two of them instead of one. YUM!!!
I'm glad to hear that the leg is getting better - well, you know what I mean! Best wishes.

Tags
cheese, grill, lobster, sandwich, sandwiches