What cheese is best for a grilled cheese sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My kids are bringing their friends over for a grilled cheese party tomorrow afternoon. Just wondering what cheese you think is best? I have cheddar, mozzeralla, colby and the processed stuff. Honestly, knowing my kids, they'll probably want all four!

First of all, DON'T ASK WHAT THEY WANT! LOL!

Use your standard sliced american processed cheese. Up here it is Kraft Cheddar Slices. I would go with the thick slices, although they are very thick but the thin ones are tooo thin.
Then you can give them a choice to go along with the cheese.
My kids liked both slices of apple in them and grape jelly. Not at the same time.
I've never had but a friend loves them with dill pickles slices. But you could put almost anything in them, tomato slices, bacon (cooked first!) and/or any cold cuts.
Melted into the cheese between bread that toasts well in the pan - Great Food!
But you don't want to take away from the cheese itself. Don't overload with a bunch of stuff. Moderation to just add a touch of.... :)

Think they'll have a great time! and love every bite! cause after all - it's a party!!!

As long as it melts well and the diner likes it you've scored a win.

Cheddar is a classic. I prefer sharper over milder choices.

I've enjoyed sandwiches with Gouda, Emmental, Jarlsberg, jack, Colby, longhorn, Comte, Munster...

I prefer single types of cheese over blends. But that's just my preference.

I recently watched Jeremy Pang do a grilled pork and cheese sandwich with a large parmesan crisp for the cheese extending well beyond the border of the sandwich. So there are some other extremes out there.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it were adults - that would be different. I love Gruyere with thin, thin slices of Granny Smith.
Mozzarella, nope - strictly pizza, spaghetti, etc... not a grilled sandwich, with the exception of some stacked sandwiches, but not classic "grilled"

Actually, for adult tastes, ANY cheese does well in a toasted sandwich, including a Brie! ;)

As long as it melts well and the diner likes it you've scored a win.

I recently watched Jeremy Pang do a grilled pork and cheese sandwich with a large parmesan crisp for the cheese extending well beyond the border of the sandwich. So there are some other extremes out there.
That reminded me of a show I saw - maybe even the same one? The cheese deliberately oozed out and was folded back over the bread, crusty side up. that's all I remember but there was some other stuff too.
Kids may enjoy that! Are they doing/creating their own sandwiches and you cook them? In which case you could put out your variety of cheeses for them to choose from.

Don't know their ages so you may have to guide them in their choices. :)

I don't eat them as often as I used to, but had a lot of cheeses that I thought were delicious on them. But it was more the breads that were better, for me, and I had two favorite ones: a pain de mie - the kind made in the lidded rectangular loaf pan, and a buttermilk white bread, I remember getting from James Beard's first Book on Bread, and both of these make very crispy, delicious sandwiches. This also made me think of making that WW English Muffin bread - another type of bread that makes a very crispy sandwich.

My kids are bringing their friends over for a grilled cheese party tomorrow afternoon. Just wondering what cheese you think is best? I have cheddar, mozzeralla, colby and the processed stuff. Honestly, knowing my kids, they'll probably want all four!
If it’s a PARTY let them pick and choose what they want

For toasted cheese sandwiches, I like to use a slice of Swiss or through year sandwiched in between two slices of Kraft American singles for melting. The way I do it if I put two slices of bread and a dry skillet until that side is hot and then move those face up and quickly put the cheese on one, salt, and put mayonnaise on the other lowering the temperature in the skillet and adding butter. Then I cook them over medium low until golden and gooey.

For toasted cheese sandwiches, I like to use a slice of Swiss or through year sandwiched in between two slices of Kraft American singles for melting. The way I do it if I put two slices of bread and a dry skillet until that side is hot and then move those face up and quickly put the cheese on one, salt, and put mayonnaise on the other lowering the temperature in the skillet and adding butter. Then I cook them over medium low until golden and gooey.
That was supposed to be gruyere up there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom