Gravy for pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Do I need anything else than stock, flour, salt and pepper for my gravy for some pork chops? Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Spinkle flour on the pan drippings and cook for a min. Then add stock and whisk into the roux. Season with s and p. You can add othe flavors if you like (eg, Rosemary) but I'd add it to the roux before you add the liquid.

Dina, if you lightly flour your chops before cooking, that will be all the flour you'll need for your gravy. I generally deglaze the pan with some wine -- whatever's handy, red or white -- and let it cook down a bit. :)

Dina said:
Do I need anything else than stock, flour, salt and pepper for my gravy for some pork chops? Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Probably not, but if you're feeling extravagant:
1 cup of chopped fresh pineapple
1 " piece of ginger,finely chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsps sugar
A scattering of golden raisins
1 1/2 cups white wine

Use the pork fat to sautée the garlic, then add all the other ingredients and cook down, with the chops, until required texture is achieved! If too thick - add more wine. If too thin - keep reducing.

cliveb said:
Probably not, but if you're feeling extravagant:
1 cup of chopped fresh pineapple
1 " piece of ginger,finely chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsps sugar
A scattering of golden raisins
1 1/2 cups white wine

Use the pork fat to sautée the garlic, then add all the other ingredients and cook down, with the chops, until required texture is achieved! If too thick - add more wine. If too thin - keep reducing.

ok - now THAT looks extremely edible!!!!!! (copying and pasting) :chef:

Thank you all. I added beef stock (should have used the pork chop drippings), flour, salt, pepper, butter and Kitchen Bouquet for a caramel color. It tasted good over the mashed potatoes and chops but I will try the method of deglazing with wine and stock next time, and of course, Clive's scrumptious recipe. Thank you all.

If you really want that comfort type of gravy just deglaze with the beef broth and make a slurry to thicken it.

kitchenelf said:
ok - now THAT looks extremely edible!!!!!! (copying and pasting) :chef:

I second that! Yum!

Meanwhile, here's the Greek take as well: brown the chops in oil and then slowly cook them until done in the juice of a couple of lemons, plus salt and a spoonful of whole peppercorns, adding in a bit of water if needed as they cook.

By the time the meat is done and tender, the sauce has reduced to a delicious, tangy, shiny thing that's just lovely spooned over the chop!

The best gravy for porkchops is milk gravy. Use the drippings in the pan and add a couple Tlb. of flour and let sit a min. and then add milk a little at a time until all is mixed well and then add more milk and stir until thick. It's like making a med white sauce. If your short on drippings add some butter. Make sure you S/P to taste. Make sure you keep stiring the sauce until thick. Sometimes I take the pan of the heat to ad the flour.

One of my favorite flavors when it comes to pork is mustard.

I like a good ole' Sauce Robert. This is a recipe for a pair of chops in a 10" frypan.

2x 1-1/2" Thick Boneless/Trimmed Rib Chops
2-T Butter
1-T Minced Shallots
2-T White Wine
1/2-C Veal Demi-Glace*
1/2-t Dijon Mustard
1/2-t Fresh Lemon Juice
1-t Minced Fresh Parsley
Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 325ºF. Dry the chops with paper-towels and season lightly with salt and pepper.

Toss a tablespoon of butter into a medium-hot pan and wait for the foam/bubbles to subside. Add the chops and sear until they release, then flip and wait for that side to release. Once both sides are seared, place the pan in the oven. Roast the pork chops to 140º-142ºF internal temp (allow to rise to 145ºF as it rests). It shouldn't take very long, and then remove them to a plate to rest. This yields a perfect medium pork chop that is amazingly juicy, tender, and with just a bit of pink to the meat. (I check with an instant read thermometer inserted through the side of the chop into the center).

Place the pan over medium heat and add a bit of butter if needed. Toss in the shallots and sweat until they just begin to take on color. Deglaze with the wine. Add the demiglace and whisk to melt the gelatin and incorporate the wine/shallots. Add the dijon, lemon juice, and parsley. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the remaining tablespoon of butter. Season with salt and pepper, and serve over the chops. The sauce goes excellent with some roasted potato wedges and some steamed green beans. Be careful not to overcook the pork, and be careful with how much acid you add (wine/mustard/lemon juice). The wine I add is just a splash to loosen the fond, and the lemon juice is just a quick squeeze of a lemon half. If you add too much acid, you can try to save it with a bit of sugar and perhaps another tablespoon of butter.

*If you don't have classic veal demi-glace on hand, you can fudge here by making a quick reduction of a good homemade brown stock. Reduce 2-C to ~1/3-1/2-C prior to cooking in a small saucier or sauce pan. You can throw in a small sprig of thyme, a crushed garlic clove, a bay leaf, some peppercorns, and a sprig of parsley while it reduces, and then strain them out after. It's actually easier to reduce 1 quart to ~1/2-1-Cup, and then save 1/2 of the glace for another use.

I also like port & cherries with pork, but I have to get some stuff done here... :pig:

Last edited:
I like to saute my chops in a cast iron skillet, and when they're done, remove them to a platter. I then add some onions and sliced mushrooms to the pan, with a little clarified butter if needed, and briefly saute those. Then, I add the flour to form a roux, and add some stock. I usually use a mix of half chicken / half beef stock for chops. Once the sauce comes to a boil and tightens up, season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, here's the Greek take as well: brown the chops in oil and then slowly cook them until done in the juice of a couple of lemons, plus salt and a spoonful of whole peppercorns, adding in a bit of water if needed as they cook.

By the time the meat is done and tender, the sauce has reduced to a delicious, tangy, shiny thing that's just lovely spooned over the chop![/quote]

Sounds like the beginnings of pork picatta. Add some chicken broth instead of water and some white wine and you've got it. Delish!

Back
Top Bottom