"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #11
Head Chef

Generally start with a fine mirpoix sauteedin butter or a bit of bacon diced baco, or both.

Add mince (beef or beef and veal or even add some ground pork) and cook until pink is just gone.

Add white wine and some beef stock and let cook and reduced for a bit.

Then add tomatoes, canned, crushed, and a bit of tomato paste. Cook for quite a while (2 hours or so). And finish with a bit of cream shortly before cooking is stopped.

Agree with the posters who say do not cook the mince too much at the beginning and simmer the final mixture (without the cream) for a few hours (or at least 90 minutes).

At least it works for me.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Sous Chef

auntdot and and the rest of you added a lot of good ideas to this thread. I personally never had a problem with bolognese sauce, but I do use most of the sage advice provided by those on this thread. COok the Mince (or ground beef) a minimal time to provide a release of the grease you can drain (if the meat turned brown or is dry you had it in the pan too long by itself). Add a good quality wine and low-fat/salt free beef broth with the tomatoes and spices to simmer for a couple of hours... all in your house will be hungry (and happy afterwards). Casper

Tags
None